Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin5309 View Post
Yes, this was the mower I was researching. In the end, I believe the cub cadet was better for me as I won't be cutting nearly as many lawns as most people on this forum. I saved quite a bit of money and love using it.

Anyhow, I'll figure this lawn clipping issue out. Especially with all the help from posters on this forum.

Thanks again guys.
Good luck, there's just about as many ways to get rid of clippings as there are mower brands. Many have been mentioned and are valid methods. But it also depends on the mower and conditions of the turf as well. Some are hard to explain via text based communication. At least for me.

You'll get it figured out. The one thing no one mentioned is if these clumps aren't all over, as in a few here and there, is walking it with a backpack blower and blowing them out.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks to everybody that provided constructive advice with respect to eliminating some of the lawn clippings while mowing. I will try all of these techniques: Driving slower, getting new blades, etc in an effort to improve my lawn cutting experience.

I mentioned in my original post that I was thinking about getting into the biz. Many of you assumed that this is all I would be doing to earn income. The fact of the matter is I have a good full time job where I earn plenty of money. I am a bit of a workaholic though and I was looking for additional ways to make money; I also was hoping to teach my son responsibility in owning a business; oh and I love to drive those zero turns.

I thought this forum was an opportunity to learn from others who have learned some of these lessons already; not an opportunity for those who feel they know everything in the business to showcase their knowledge in disrespectful and a condescending manner.

Again, thanks to everyone who provided constructive advice. I'll let you know how things turn out.
I'm all for helping someone out. Here's where I feel different. Do you think the CEO of Burger King goes on a forum and asks the CEO of Mcdonald's if they should raise the price of their Whopper? Or should they add more items to the menu?

Once you figure out how to use the mower. I can slap money on the table and bet you'll be asking "how much would you charge" to cut this yard along with all the other things you should have already studied up on when it comes to operating a LCO.

Last edited by orangemower; 06-02-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I have a feeling you're directing this at my post. Owning and operating a business takes a lot of time invested just to "learn" how to do it. You going out and buying a mower to see if you want to do this isn't the best way to go about it. Now you think if "fun" to ride around on a ztr. It was more then 8 years from the time I "thought" about doing this to the time I had my business name and all the other things in order before I even got on a mower to demo.
Just drop it already. Congrats to you for doing the background work that not everybody does. It doesn't make either of you more right or wrong than the other.

Remember, the guy who started FedEx failed or got a C or whatever on his business plan for FedEx. As I said, experience is the best teacher there is. One can be book smart and street stupid. I know a bunch of business owners that are book dumb (one didn't graduate high school) and is street smart and has a bigger business than the majority of folks on LS. Not in this business either. I am friends with a guy who has a grade school reading ability, but can design and build a machine that will replace 3 or 4 steps using individual machines.

So again, congrats on your way of doing things, but that isn't for everyone. Don't denigrate others for not doing it your way.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

You are hardly the CEO of McDonalds and I am hardly the CEO of Burger King so maybe you should check your ego at the door before you walk into a forum that is designed for people to help one another.

Also, I already told you that I will not be working full time on this type of business. I do quite well in the industry in which I'm working and don't need your advice on how to run a successfull lawn care business.

I simply posted a question on this forum with the intent to pick the brains of experts in the field of lawn cutting on how I can mow a small number of lawns in a more professional and efficient way. So pick up the money you placed on the table and move on to bother someone else.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So pick up the money you placed on the table and move on to bother someone else.
Try to be nice. You are the new guy here.

What state are you located in. It makes a difference in my answer.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Try to be nice. You are the new guy here.

What state are you located in. It makes a difference in my answer.
Yes, he is. And he asked a question nicely and was ripped apart by another relatively new guy with all the experience and paperwork in the world and has never made a mistake......wait, he has. Or he hasn't. Someone with over 1,000 posts in 6 months. That tells me a lot.

And you'll notice as well, that unlike a lot of newbies that don't like what they are told because it isn't what they want to hear, this guy listened and thanked everyone. He only told one other poster off, who has an attitude.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Why the drama? Dont we get enough of it during the week? Sheesh!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Yes, he is. And he asked a question nicely and was ripped apart by another relatively new guy with all the experience and paperwork in the world and has never made a mistake......wait, he has. Or he hasn't. Someone with over 1,000 posts in 6 months. That tells me a lot.
I just wanted to make sure it stayed nice. That other new guy is anything but a new guy.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I just wanted to make sure it stayed nice. That other new guy is anything but a new guy.
Registered in Dec of 2011. First post was in January. Since then, over 1,000 posts. Unless it is topsites using a new name. I haven't checked, is topsites still posting under that name? Some of these posts sound familiar.

And if you want it to stay nice, someone other than me needs to tell orangemower to leave it alone, although he seems to be now.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the clippings are thicker on one side of the lawn when you cut the second time or even on the first cutting. Since most mowers discharge more then a passes width you can work the excess clippings towards that side. I call it "migrating the clippings"....pretty scientific stuff! good luck.

Tags
bagger , cadet , clippings , cub , grass