Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
21" metro X series...i believe that is the "new" one that came out in 2010...my only complaint with it is it has a kill switch on the engine that you have to hold down for 5 seconds to turn the machine off as opposed to the jx85 where you pull that throttle back to the off position and simply walk away as it is shutting down

i love toro mowers but have never liked their 21" mowers...
Splice the switch and put it by the handle where its handy or could put a regular on and off switch on it. That mower needs an actual mulch blade, that dumb atomic blade won't let the clippings fall back down into the turf where they should be and drops a crap load all over when you shut it off. The best mulching 21 I've used was a deere js45.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
21" metro X series...i believe that is the "new" one that came out in 2010...my only complaint with it is it has a kill switch on the engine that you have to hold down for 5 seconds to turn the machine off as opposed to the jx85 where you pull that throttle back to the off position and simply walk away as it is shutting down

i love toro mowers but have never liked their 21" mowers...
How has the exmark been for bagging and mulching? Have you had any durability issues? Is the machine easy to control?

My dealer has a few leftover 2010 models with the honda gsv 190 engine. They are the S series ones not the X series ones. He also has the 2012 models that apparently underwent some some modifications including a new multi-purpose blade, more ergonomic handles, and a new material for the tires. The 2012 models he has are the x series with the kawasaki FJ180 Kai engines.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
How has the exmark been for bagging and mulching? Have you had any durability issues? Is the machine easy to control?

My dealer has a few leftover 2010 models with the honda gsv 190 engine. They are the S series ones not the X series ones. He also has the 2012 models that apparently underwent some some modifications including a new multi-purpose blade, more ergonomic handles, and a new material for the tires. The 2012 models he has are the x series with the kawasaki FJ180 Kai engines.
bags fine...doesn't mulch as well as the jx85 but i also don't have a mulching blade on there...i wouldn't get the s series, i believe it doesn't have a BBC...i love the tires on it, actually better than the jx85...it handles awesome, it's just easy to maneuver unlike the honda's...it's pretty durable, but our employees didn't get it strapped down one day and it hit the side door of the trailer and bent up the self propel bar pretty good, i see it as a design flaw really, they should have prepared for things like that, it wouldn't take much to protect that bar a little more...overall i really like the mower, would buy another...i wish john deere had their **** straight, i'd have 2 or 3 jx85's...

my other thought has been getting a 26"...we have 36's to fit into backyards but there are times where you need a smaller push...the y'bravo seems like a really nice machine...my favorite part is how the cables are on the inside of the handle bars so they don't get snagged on anything...it's also very light...company seems very shady though, i called them and it seemed like it went to some dude's cell phone voicemail and i never got a call back...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
bags fine...doesn't mulch as well as the jx85 but i also don't have a mulching blade on there...i wouldn't get the s series, i believe it doesn't have a BBC...i love the tires on it, actually better than the jx85...it handles awesome, it's just easy to maneuver unlike the honda's...it's pretty durable, but our employees didn't get it strapped down one day and it hit the side door of the trailer and bent up the self propel bar pretty good, i see it as a design flaw really, they should have prepared for things like that, it wouldn't take much to protect that bar a little more...overall i really like the mower, would buy another...i wish john deere had their **** straight, i'd have 2 or 3 jx85's...

my other thought has been getting a 26"...we have 36's to fit into backyards but there are times where you need a smaller push...the y'bravo seems like a really nice machine...my favorite part is how the cables are on the inside of the handle bars so they don't get snagged on anything...it's also very light...company seems very shady though, i called them and it seemed like it went to some dude's cell phone voicemail and i never got a call back...
I wouldn't touch the exmark 26". I bought one the first year it came out in 2005. It had too many mechanical issues, was heavy as heck, and could only bag as the engine was too small for mulching. I like the YBravo but they don't deliver to Canada and until they have a bigger network, it might be wise to wait. Next year, toro is supposed to be bringing out a 30" commercial version of their 30" timemaster. Maybe that might be a good solution.

Thanks for the information on the exmark. I've been tempted to get this mower to replace my 2008 exmark metro 21" (same as the toro proline). I wanted to see what others have experienced with this new exmark before buying. I agree with you too. I do wish John Deere would get their stuff together too.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I wouldn't touch the exmark 26". I bought one the first year it came out in 2005. It had too many mechanical issues, was heavy as heck, and could only bag as the engine was too small for mulching. I like the YBravo but they don't deliver to Canada and until they have a bigger network, it might be wise to wait. Next year, toro is supposed to be bringing out a 30" commercial version of their 30" timemaster. Maybe that might be a good solution.

Thanks for the information on the exmark. I've been tempted to get this mower to replace my 2008 exmark metro 21" (same as the toro proline). I wanted to see what others have experienced with this new exmark before buying. I agree with you too. I do wish John Deere would get their stuff together too.
yeah even our dealer told us to stay away from the metro 26...i've used one a few times, way too heavy and only cut well when it bagged...i agree, the engine is way too small for that thing...i've also heard about the commercial toro coming out next year, sounds like it's gonna be a nice mower...i will def consider it