Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

mtmower if it makes you feel any better my cut height is a bit over 1/8" off compared to the guage. I was happy with that considering Im running less air pressure and my floor not being perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Ok. I don't even want to get on here and admit this. I took it back in the shop and started from scratch on the deck pitch and found out between the cantilever adjusters, clockwise and counter clockwise turning of the bolts, my JD gauge working on a seesaw pivot, and just being plain dumb I had managed to pitch the deck backward. I had the rear at 3 5/8" and the front at 3.5"! 1/8 inch lower in the rear. So I kicked the dog a couple of times and corrected it setting the front at 3.5" and the rear at 3 3/8".
You DO realize that 3 5/8" is more than 3 1/2" right?

And 3 1/2" is more than 3 3/8" right?

Maybe your not good at fractions?

Order a set of new SuperZ blades and try them out!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I have a question for the x-factor deck veterans. Where are your anti-scalp wheels set? Mine are on the bottom holes and in super thick grass I can see lines from them. I know im anal. Just wondering if I raise them if this will be cured?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine were all the way down from factory and it wasn't cutting our centipede low enough. I set the middle roller to the center hole and the other 2 are in the top hole and that fixed it. I thought maybe the lower positions were for taller grass??.. Just remember your scalp wheels aren't supposed to roll all the time

2011 Gravely 252 26HP
2011 Gravely Pro Walk 36 Hydro 16HP
1 Stihl KM110 with hedge trimmer and edger
2 Stihl FS90 - Stihl HS45
Husky 435 16" - Stihl MS290 18"
Stihl BR600 - Husky BT150 - Stihl BG85
Generac 3100-PSI 2.8-GPM Pressure Washer
Jungle Jim 3TR and 2BH
82"x16' open trailer
2007 F150 FX2 5.4
Lots of Locks!

"It is not hard what we do. It's like anything else in life. Add will power, desire, and the ability to look for solutions...not excuses. Then you will succeed."
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have got two 260's with the x factor deck. I think it cuts great at lower heights (3.5 in) especially on 5-7 days of growth on most yards. On most of my yards cutting at 4" to 5" I think that it requires a double cut to eliminate the clump. I have found a 3" wide high lift blade from oregon that cuts extremely well. I demoed a deere last year and couldnt get over the clipping dispersal compared to my gravelys. I think that the Gravely tries to chop the flippings finer than the deere but that is not what I am after. I will post some pics of my xfactor stripes.
Shindawia 261x
07 Bobcat s250
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are the pics of how the Xfactor Stripes on mostly fescue lawns. They are usually cut twice to look this good.

Shindawia 261x
07 Bobcat s250
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
You DO realize that 3 5/8" is more than 3 1/2" right?

And 3 1/2" is more than 3 3/8" right?

Maybe your not good at fractions?

Order a set of new SuperZ blades and try them out!
There you go. I can't even write about it right! Should have just said I had the rear 1/8" lower than the front and attempt to correct it, making the rear 1/8" higher than the front. In my defense it was 12:30 in the morning when I was writing it. Good catch.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
mtmower if it makes you feel any better my cut height is a bit over 1/8" off compared to the guage. I was happy with that considering Im running less air pressure and my floor not being perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Could you not correct this either due to not being able to get it into transport position? I'm going to have to drop my deck a little still. At 1/8" off from the gauge, it's all I can do to get it to latch and unlatch. My wife can't even do it. With 1/8" pitch it did a pretty nice job. Emailed my rep and he recommends 1/4" pitch, which with the OEM humped blades will put it off by a little over 1/4" from the gauge. If the straight blades work better and I switch to them this will offset the inaccuracy a little.

Yesterday I tried cutting a small area that had not been cut yet this year and was tall (12"-15"), stalky, and not very thick and it left skippers even at slow speed which surprised me. The deck did have a good deal of clippings packed under it so this may have been part of the cause.

Last edited by mtmower; 06-05-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Mowing View Post
Here are the pics of how the Xfactor Stripes on mostly fescue lawns. They are usually cut twice to look this good.
]
Looks real good to me. What's the blade # your using and are they humped or flat? Sucks you have to double cut. So far I haven't had to double cut. May have chased around the yard and hit a stripe here or there but that's it. Makes a world of difference leaving the chute off for me.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So yesterday was Monday thru and thru. Just one of those days. Got started late (about 8:00). Have had rain on and off every day for three plus weeks and calling for it all this week as well but we had some sunshine so I hit it hard.
On a side note, this deck seems to pack underneath pretty bad on wet and not being use to the odd baffle at the discharge opening takes a little creative scraping. Cut was good though and clipping dispersal compared to my SZ is terrific. I am questioning the 13.4 gallon fuel tanks. Ran one side out till the engine stalled and filled her up and only got about 5.5 gallons in so I have to wonder if they're counting the EPA required air dead space when they are giving capacity. Should be getting close to 6.70 gallons in each side if not.

So back to my day. I got to wear shorts for the first time in a while and wouldn't you know my button center brakes out. So now I'm hobbling around with my fingers crossed that my zipper will do double duty and keep them from hitting my ankles for the whole day. Then my expensive ear buds for my ipod blew a cone on one side so I'm down from stereo to mono. Third yard in with just at 10 hrs on my machine and the main drive belt for the deck comes off when I engaged the deck. Not bad to reinstall and tension seems ok at the idler but I can't for the life of me figure why it came off, so I added a little more tension. Got rained on of course, once by some of the biggest rain drops I'd ever seen. They would explode when the hit the windshield. Few and far between and looked like the size of ping pong balls when they'd hit. I was waiting for the hail but none came. Some wild weather to say the least. Then as I'm driving a SUV hits a deer and they turn around and are getting out, I'm guessing to put it down. Because it's still flopping around and trying to get up on the side of the road. Didn't pull back in my drive till 10:00 pm.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Mowing View Post

Those look great bro. I sometimes double cut, but not to get a clean cut or to get rid of clippings. It just makes the stripes last longer between cuttings.