Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the Western New York area so the grass can be pretty thick at times.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the OP has enough to go on at this point. Why don't we let him put some sharp blades on, use one or more of the techniques mentioned here and report back to us on his progress?

If I understand the OPs orginal posts here correctly, he needed a mower for his own lawn too and decided to get a used commercial unit, which is what I've seen recommended here over and over to homeowners. It sounds like he decided to put it to use to try to make a few bucks with it as well. A lot of guys mow a few neighbor's lawns for extra money, and you don't need to have a MBA to do that.

P.S. - Yeah, I did get a little chuckle out of picturing him going around in circles at full speed with his mower choking on clippings, but he asked for help, not ridicule.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I think the OP has enough to go on at this point. Why don't we let him put some sharp blades on, use one or more of the techniques mentioned here and report back to us on his progress?

If I understand the OPs orginal posts here correctly, he needed a mower for his own lawn too and decided to get a used commercial unit, which is what I've seen recommended here over and over to homeowners. It sounds like he decided to put it to use to try to make a few bucks with it as well. A lot of guys mow a few neighbor's lawns for extra money, and you don't need to have a MBA to do that.

P.S. - Yeah, I did get a little chuckle out of picturing him going around in circles at full speed with his mower choking on clippings, but he asked for help, not ridicule.
Well said Darryl.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'm all for helping someone out. Here's where I feel different. Do you think the CEO of Burger King goes on a forum and asks the CEO of Mcdonald's if they should raise the price of their Whopper? Or should they add more items to the menu?

Once you figure out how to use the mower. I can slap money on the table and bet you'll be asking "how much would you charge" to cut this yard along with all the other things you should have already studied up on when it comes to operating a LCO.
Wow, dude this thread would have been a lot better off if you would just quit posting. You don't have anything to help the dude out just stay off here.

I didnt research a dam thing when I got into the business 13 years ago. Didnt know squat. Im now grossing right at 100K per year. Nobody needs to research a dam thing to cut grass. Sounds to me like you would have been a perfect politician or lawyer honestly.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Justin, also Im not sure if you have ever seen a person do this but I think it would help you big time. If you get on www.scag.com they explain in detail how to "stripe" a yard. This way of mowing is not only waaaaay faster than mowing in circles but looks a lot better than mowing in circles. you still wont be able to mow full speed doing it this way but I think you would see a big improvement.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=orangemower;4431379]I'm all for helping someone out. Here's where I feel different. Do you think the CEO of Burger King goes on a forum and asks the CEO of Mcdonald's if they should raise the price of their Whopper? Or should they add more items to the menu?

Soooo, Orange... why are you on here then? You wanna hate on pretty much everyone else and their ideas (Justin) and act (again) like you're the archangel of mowing.

I started out working for the company I bought (Yes... I bought a company). When I was just starting out you could have probably placed bets that I wouldn't last a season even on the worker side of things. After coming into my work ethic my boss said I grew leaps and bounds and after 3 seasons he had to move so he offered me the business.

I made mistakes dealing with credit cards and sold my business to my-now-partner. I got a full time job and got married. I have made mistakes in purchasing mowers incorrectly. The important thing here is NOT whether folks have made mistakes or not but if you've learned from them.

Research and patience will CUT DOWN the amount of mistakes but it will not as you seem to think eliminate them. I love your song and dance but the fat lady has finished singing... I'm done.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws

Tags
bagger , cadet , clippings , cub , grass