Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

John Deere 727a Hydraulic Pump change

Changing my hydraulic pump on a 727a. The problem is the pump I'm replacing (p/n TCA 17484) has a shaft for the pump cooling fan; the new pump (TCA 18087) does not. Elminating the cooling fan.

I've triple checked part numbers and the old number was substitued for the new number. The new pump is made by Tuff Torq, in Japan, ;( Part number DOP10S.

Seems odd to eliminate the hydraulic cooling fan but possible. Has anybody encountered this?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk6 View Post
Changing my hydraulic pump on a 727a. The problem is the pump I'm replacing (p/n TCA 17484) has a shaft for the pump cooling fan; the new pump (TCA 18087) does not. Elminating the cooling fan.

I've triple checked part numbers and the old number was substitued for the new number. The new pump is made by Tuff Torq, in Japan, ;( Part number DOP10S.

Seems odd to eliminate the hydraulic cooling fan but possible. Has anybody encountered this?
Seems backwards. I want to say the older 727's had the pump without cooling fan and newer ones had them. Where did you get the pump from? JD dealer?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought the pump from a John Deere dealer, and they are the ones who advised me on the number change. Called there yesterday, parts department didn't't know why the number changed or if I could run the new pump. Service department was closed when I called.

I agree with you. Why would they eliminate the cooling fan. I don't have a problem using it if I could get a reasonable answer why they eliminated the the fan.

Frustrating to spend almost a $1,000.00 and not be the same pump.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Spoke with three John Deere dealers all of them say the same thing. New pump TCA 18087 does not use a cooling fan. Why? None of them had the answer why the change.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Spoke with three John Deere dealers all of them say the same thing. New pump TCA 18087 does not use a cooling fan. Why? None of them had the answer why the change.
Well its probably cheaper to make it without one and the figured out they didnt need it so cut cost. Just my guess. Oh and then they added on an extra green paint tax just so you dont forget what color your machine is.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Is it possible to place the cooling fan from the old pump onto the new one? Edit: Never mind I read in original post that you cant.

Last edited by LawnCareNoobie; 06-04-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Mistake