Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another county in Wisconsin is set to review DuPont's settlement offer during their Natural Resource Committee Meeting on June 7, 2012 at 8:30AM regarding the tree damage at the county owned Mee-Kwon Park Golf Course.
http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/Agenda/NatrualResources.pdf
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wish some more LCO's would comment, it got quiet and we know they are dealing with damage and complaints. Any LCO's suing Dupont? Has to affected your business and life.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuy View Post
Another county in Wisconsin is set to review DuPont's settlement offer during their Natural Resource Committee Meeting on June 7, 2012 at 8:30AM regarding the tree damage at the county owned Mee-Kwon Park Golf Course.
http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/Agenda/NatrualResources.pdf
Quote:
Discussion Items:
Update on the DuPont Imprelis Settlement for Impaired Trees at Mee-Kwon Park and Hawthorne
Hills Golf Courses: Mr. Struck provided an update on the ongoing process with DuPont for the
settlement regarding the chemical Imprelis and tree damage at each golf course. The chemical was
promoted as being safe in and around trees and was used at both golf courses. Currently, the
settlement agreement is with Mee-Kwon Park Golf Course where 27 trees were identified as dead and
needing to be removed as a result of the chemical and 26 that will need ongoing management.
Corporation Counsel has reviewed the agreements as the negotiation has continued and has had
several discussions with the staff as well. There will be a subsequent agreement with Hawthorne
Hills Golf Course as well.
http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/minutes/...ourcesMay3.pdf
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

In Ohio the Dept of Ag holds your insurance "proof" to retain your license and you have to maintain certain limits., It may vary per carrier how this would be handled if submitted as a claim.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuy View Post
I'm now concerned about the lack of studies done regarding Imprelis and it's long term effect on humans and animals. We're told there's no harm, yet even the Imprelis label suggests protective clothing and boots must be used when applying Imprelis. Why is that if there's no danger? Also, Roundup is another systemic herbicide and has recently, in the past decade, been found to have an affect on animal cell reproduction.

Read:
"In 2002, a scientific research paper was published in Chemical Research in Toxicology, a publication of the American Chemical Society, entitled Herbicide Roundup Provokes Cell Division Dysfunction at the Level of CDK1/Cyclin B Activation. This bombshell paper reveals the real inherent dangers of the world’s most popular systemic herbicide.

The model they used to test the effects of the glyphosate based Roundup was an embryonic sea urchin in the first cell divisions after successful fertilization. This is suitable for an analog study (meaning that it can be applied to human cell division) because these first divisions represent the universal cell cycle regulation.

They found that a solution containing just 8 mM (millimolar, or 8/1000 moles) of glyphosate “induces a delay in the kinetic of the first cell cleavage of the sea urchin embryos.” This means that the initial cell division, which starts with cleavage of the single cell zygote is delayed, something which could prove destructive in human beings.

Anyone who has taken a biology course can tell you that the human reproductive cycle is a beautiful, finely tuned, and remarkably elegant system. When this system is upset, say by toxins in the mother’s blood, the results are not pretty."

Knowing how late some scientific research gets revealed and how much later we hear of a chemical or drug that has bad side effects, I certainly can't give up my right to file suit against Dupont in the future for problems Imprelis may continue to cause me, my family or potential owners of my property without absolute proper compensation. First it was 'safe' to use on lawns, now we see death to plants. What's next in the cycle of this toxin when it enters our body through eating a plant that has soaked up this stuff or the water from wells, rivers and reservoirs that we drink? Can Dupont guarantee in monetary terms our bodies or will they treat that like they are the 2 year guarantee they're giving for the rest of our trees?

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but these are things to consider before signing on any settlement.
I think you are getting bored now...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqnine44 View Post
I think you are getting bored now...
LOL! Indeed, getting bored waiting for DuPont to send their resolution offer while I stare at my dead landscape. Kind of like watching paint dry, but with this its one needle drop at a time. LOL. Idle time makes Starbuy a dull boy.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just received a call to my office from DuPont. They stated the offer amount is visible on their screen (not those you call into through the main #), but they can't disclose it. It might be mailed overnight in about 1 to 3 weeks. Also, they confirmed none of the resolutions guarantee any timeframe from the time you sign to the time you are compensated (not 30 days to pay, 1 year, 5 years, upon your death, etc.). That kills the deal for sure.

They just want to see who bites on these lowball, seemingly no guarantee of timely compensation offers. Some are happy with it, especially those who may never even notice the tree missing, like many county/city owned golf courses, where the land is so vast, or those who just don't care to replace anything or don't care about receiving premium quality trees, shrubs, plants or getting privacy back (or those who just have no idea the true value of their loss). I understand why they're doing it this way, but to push so many of us into the court process, which will be more costly for them, is in my opinion bad business and bad for the shareholders. Oh well, glad I don't own that stock.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good morning Lawnsite users! I have decided on a very good law firm to represent me without the class action. They are representing hundreds of individual cases which include homeowners, golf courses, lawn care operators, landscape professionals and have the best fees I've seen (I've been searching for months). They also have teams in place from scientists and arborists to many other fields and universities. If you are a member here and want to PM me for details feel free to do so. I know of people that are still waiting after 6 months from signing DuPont's resolution who have not yet seen any compensation. That tells me a lot. All those who feel comfortable continue the direct resolution process, I sincerely wish you the best and hope you have the satisfactory outcome you desire in the future. Some are fine with that and I'm not critical of your decision. I will continue to interact here until the time I reach a settlement or when I'm in court, at that time I won't be able to say anything more unless it goes all the way to trial and a judgement is issued (in that case there's usually no gag order after the case is complete).
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I called and talked to someone on the Dupont hotline. Mine is still "pending"
with no idea as to when i will be getting an offer.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubetit View Post
I called and talked to someone on the Dupont hotline. Mine is still "pending"
with no idea as to when i will be getting an offer.
Ubetit, welcome to the ever growing club.

To you and other newer users of Lawnsite, after you get to 10 posts on this site you'll be able to use the option of private messaging others on here.