Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I didnt have much luck with the straight blades. It appears the 52" stens blades are not as close to OEM specs as the 60" stens are. I hope you have better luck than me. I did look at some older Gravely reviews on here and many said the OEM blades had the best cut with the x-factor deck. I want to try the fusion high lift notched. Its just me being cheap..I should just order a few sets of OEM blades and keep them sharp. My thinking is the X-Factor deck is very picky and I know excels with really sharp OEM blades. It must also be picky with different blade designs?
I think your probably right on about the deck being picky. Mine is doing pretty good just the way it is, but I plan on pitching my deck another 1/8" for a total of 1/4", per my rep, and see if it stripes even better. Then I might try some straight blades.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this deck not striping or not cutting cleanly?

Stripe is secondary. If your not cutting every blade of grass, that, to me, is a MAJOR problem.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post

Stripe is secondary. If your not cutting every blade of grass, that, to me, is a MAJOR problem.

Both of my xfactor decks cut smooth like a carpet. Reminds me of the older (good) UltraCut deck except it doesn't clog up in wet conditions like the ultracut did.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, OK. There just seems to be a lot of talk about QOC with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Oh, OK. There just seems to be a lot of talk about QOC with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

I tried to get close so you can see there are no stragglers anywhere.

2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Some of this is my fault. Screwed up the pitch on my deck and it left a straggler here or there. Once corrected to 1/8" it's a non issue. Also cutting in rain for what seems like forever. 100% chance today. Striping is good. I'm the PIA that over thinks and tries to improve on everything.

Not that it's a fair comparison but my standard deck and XR7 SZ leaves a nice cut and stripe. I know everyone complains about them. The X-Factor does as well or better on weekly turf but not as good on 1' tall or taller field grass (more skippers) IMO due to less open front end on the deck. I don't cut this hardly ever so again non issue. Where the X-Factor blows the SZ away is on clipping dispersal. It looks like only half or less clippings coming out of the chute and what does come out magically disappears. I can't stress enough how great this has been. Saves me and hour or more a day of blowing around clippings. The X makes the clippings much smaller than my SZs. The SZs do not clump at all they just leaves an even canopy of clippings over the entire surface, so much so, that you can't see the cut grass in areas. So far the X is the best deck I've cut with in the last several years but it's also been that long since I've spent any time on Scag, Exmark, JD, and Toro.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Honestly the X-Factor is the best dry cutting deck I have used in 15 years and second best wet cutting deck only to the Velocity. At this point we are playing with different blades. I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it...I just ordered two sets of factory blades today.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMLC; 06-06-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GMLC, Looks good as always. I just can't get my head around why a straight blade with more cutting edge which would create more lift wouldn't benefit any deck. It must have something to do with your deck size or something to do with baffles and turbulence or a lack of, when switch blade types. I put a call in to Oregon to discuss hump vs. straight and get a recommendation for my 460 in a straight, notched super high lift, full cutting edge, and 3" wide. I may try some G6s as well even though I'm hearing mixed reviews on them on the X. Dennis the Oregon tech is out of the office till Monday though.

Once things dry out here I am also going to try my mulch kit which come with mulching blades. First I've ever purchased. My rep from Washington, where they deal with a lot of rain, claims they primarily run mulch kits out his way. This would be incredible if it works out. Trimming on both sides! No worrying about where clippings are going! Shoot I could have saved my money and not bought a Power Chute!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Anybody here run the rubber stripe kit? Just got mine today. Might put it on tomorrow before I cut my lawn. If I do I will make sure to cut a different (pain in the azz) direction to see how it does.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
GMLC, Looks good as always. I just can't get my head around why a straight blade with more cutting edge which would create more lift wouldn't benefit any deck. It must have something to do with your deck size or something to do with baffles and turbulence or a lack of, when switch blade types. I put a call in to Oregon to discuss hump vs. straight and get a recommendation for my 460 in a straight, notched super high lift, full cutting edge, and 3" wide. I may try some G6s as well even though I'm hearing mixed reviews on them on the X. Dennis the Oregon tech is out of the office till Monday though.

Once things dry out here I am also going to try my mulch kit which come with mulching blades. First I've ever purchased. My rep from Washington, where they deal with a lot of rain, claims they primarily run mulch kits out his way. This would be incredible if it works out. Trimming on both sides! No worrying about where clippings are going! Shoot I could have saved my money and not bought a Power Chute!
Im going to measure the flat blades this weekend. My feeling is something is off. I have never used a mulch kit. Always assumed they didnt work good in wet conditions? I look forward to your review on it!
Posted via Mobile Device