Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Reclaiming the jungle which is my backyard

I have started back working in the yard after having let it go for too long. I have a lot of small trash type trees and bushes to cut down and many, many sticks branches and tree limbs to cut up and pick up.

First, is a lopper the best choice to cut down the small trees and bushes short enough to be able to cut over them with a lawn mower without damaging the blade. Digging up each individual tree is not an option. I have a good brushcutter but figured to cut the trees low enough that I would be continually dulling the blade by hitting the ground with it (lack of coordination).

Second, is there a tool made for manually picking picking up individual sticks, branches etc. while standing up straight? Nothing motorized, just something reasonably priced. I have seen the flimsy things that people use picking up tradh on properties and was hoping for something better. If not, is there something that any of you have come up with to save your backs? The only thing I have come up with is cutting off a broomstick and driving a nail in to it twisted in to a capital "L" shape. Again, I was hoping for something better.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Loppers are fine and the tool for sticks is the plastic tined 'Durafork'... lightweight and strong, but easy to hook and individual tine and snap it off... takes coordination but saves the constant bending down to grab another stick...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, Smallaxe; I will look for DuraForks.

Any good brands of loppers. I saw that Stihl makes some; I didn't know if a lopper is something one should spend Stihl kind of money on or if the ones at Lowes and Home Depot are good enough. Mine is going to get a lot of use for a long time.

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Loppers go dull with useage whether they are Stihl or Yardman... I have a quality anvil type lopper that I use only in the business and keep a cheap one if there is a chance of it going in the dirt...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Smallaxe; that seems like a good plan.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the tool.

The Extractigator

My wife and I got one, and it works pretty good.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you MS_Surveyor. Pulling the trees and bushes up by the roots would be the best possible solution to avoid leaving small stumps to damage my lawn mower. I am going to see if I can find the Extractigator and the Durafork locally this week end.

I was reading an older thread about Honda lawnmowers that you responded to because I had just bought one. I have been doing most of my cutting over the years with low-end riding mowers and garden tractors but decided for once to buy a higher end self propelled from a dealer who is less than a mile and a half from my home. My lawn has never looked better. The first week I was pretty sore after I finished cutting, but that has gone away since. It had been great not having to work on a lawn mower every time I cut the grass.

I am working on a John Deere Sabre amd a Weed Eater rider trying to get them running right, but even after I do I think I will continue to cut the front yard with the Honda just because it looks so much better.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! I own a John Deere Saber 16/46 Hydro.The first new mower I ever bought. Still use it today. Mows really good I have a service manual for it with great trouble shooting. If you need help just ask.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you MS_SURVEYOR.
I am pretty sure that my problem is one of those "safety" switches that keep you safe by not letting your mower start. I saw some videos on YouTube for testing the switches and starter solenoid and should be able to track down the problem. I like the Sabre; I just wish there were more local places to buy parts. My closest place is in your state I believe, Olive Branch, MS.
I have the 15.538.
Thank you for your kind offer.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Luck! I'm here if you need me.