Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I need some advice not sure where to post, Please Help

So let me give you all some information to start out. Last year I was a lawn helper this year I started my own lawn business and got pretty busy all at once couldnít get enough flyers out when I was really busy and didnít get enough accounts fast enough long story short. I ran out of money and had to get a job to helpÖI started working full time at another lawn and landscape company. I now work Monday-Friday with them and do my 6 yards I have left on Saturdays. I am going to get 4 more accounts for Saturday s and get a zero turn. But back to my new job my boss already has big plans for me he wants me to run the crew for 30K salary and now I am not sure if I should do it or start growing my business again? I am not sure what would be best any advice would be awesome!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Sponsor

Tell your boss, thanks but no thanks. You can make that much money on your own and not have to work 70 to 80 hours a week. You sound smart enough to try this on your own. Continue to grow slowly and don't get greedy. Contact your local Chapter of SCORE and work on a business plan with their assistance and guidance you should continue in the right direction. All the best
easy-lift guy
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah thatís what I am thinking but I can't afford not to work for him right now. So it would be hard for me to grow without losing my job but at the same time I don't want my boss to get lead on and I am the only one he trusts right now.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Sponsor

Is your boss offering any sorta of benefit plan or perks? At 30K a year you can make that full time working at a gas station, with no overhead and benefits included!.
I guess it really depends on your expenses and your short term goals. As Long as you work for someone else you will never work for yourself.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

in 2004 i took an overnight shift job in a warehouse to be able to do my lawn biz during the day. i can say it really does give you time to do it if you can get your sleeping down. i'd work 40 to 50 hours at that job 10 hrs. a night usually lifting heavy boxes mostly, and then get off and do half day mowing monday - thursday so i could sleep from 2pm to 10pm. friday's, i'd get off of my 10 hr. shift, and mow till it got dark, then crash friday night, and would try to keep saturday's for myself if i could.. that was 8 years ago.. i gave up on my biz because i moved up at that warehouse to where i was making 50k a year with good insurance. 8 years later, i just can't do it anymore because my heart isn't in that job, and there is no daytime work option for me there, and i do have a family now, that i hardly ever see. anyways, i just like the green industry.. so i'm doing it all over again.. thankfully i'm on the nightshift, it really does give you time.. it's mentally and phyiscally hell at times, but most days.. not to bad, as long as you can sleep 6 to 8 hours a day, like i get to "most" days. anyways, night jobs might be a good option, they normally pay a bit more because its hard to find people to work at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T.RLawnCare View Post
Yeah thatís what I am thinking but I can't afford not to work for him right now. So it would be hard for me to grow without losing my job but at the same time I don't want my boss to get lead on and I am the only one he trusts right now.

Tags
advice , lawn advise