Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Need advice please

I have searched the forum for the appropriate answers and didn't find anything that really answered my questions in full. I have a few actually.

1. When I wash vinyl siding I usually use 1 part household bleach with 7 parts water in a garden sprayer. I wet the siding then spray on cleaning solution, then rinse off. It does really good on white siding. My question, will this kill any plants or grass diluted as it is? By the way, i've never noticed this killing any of my plants or grass, this is the first time i've done a customers house using this solution. Now I have someone else asking to get their house washed. See question 2.

2. Can I use this same solution on a dark tan siding without discoloring or streaking? I went out and looked at the siding the other day and it is really dull, not really sure if it's brittle but definitely dull looking. If this isn't the best solution to use, what would you guys recommend?

Any information will be helpful. I actually own a small lawncare business and just do some pressure washing and small home renovations along with mowing and landscaping so this is not my advertised expertise, although I still do a good job. I just want to do it as safely as possible.

Thanks guys
Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

1. Yes, it can and will kill grass and some plants. And if it doesn't kill them (some are more sensitive than others) it can certainly burn and spot them.

2. No worries with discoloring colored vinyl siding. It'll work just fine. You can streak it (clean vs dirty areas) if you're not careful.

Consider finding a reputable pressure washing company about 1.5 hrs or more from where you live and offer free labor for the day for some OJT.

Where are you located?