Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2011, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

try this speadsheet

http://api.ning.com/files/hzHalJRlCS...eoutsheet2.xls

figures are in pounds, but ignore that and assume they are USD .... this can be used as a guideline ....
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Good job PROCUT1. This is a profession, not a hobby.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump........Subscribed!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
I havent updated my location but im somewhere in TN also.
Im in TN also. Round the middle area.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
The other biggie is knowing when to say no thank you and walk away. Earlier this year we bid a 65 acre shopping mall. We met with the management, spent an entire day walking every square inch of the property, measured everything and then went back and plugged it all into our estimating spreadsheet. We submitted a price that we felt was fair and would allow is to do first rate work. The next day I went back and forth with the PM over the price via e-mail. He said our price was way too high and wanted to negotiate it down to what was basically below our cost. At that point I simply told him thank you for the opportunity to bid your project but I don't think that this is going to work out. The sad thing is that here in So Cal there are literally 50 other guys would bend over backwards to let this PM name his price and then proceed to do the work at a loss just to say that they have the job.Posted via Mobile Device
This is why people like me get excited to see post like Procuts. Even if the fools go broke, there are 20 more like them next season. It is just too darn easy to get in the business.

Nothing against solos but they mistake creating a job for themselves as being the same thing as having a business.

It is fine to leverage your own labor, working 60 hours a week like a dog, having your wife do the books, using your garage as a shop and all to get started. It just does not translate to having several employees or more, several maintenance truck rigs and such.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Nothing against solos but they mistake creating a job for themselves as being the same thing as having a business.

It is fine to leverage your own labor, working 60 hours a week like a dog, having your wife do the books, using your garage as a shop and all to get started. It just does not translate to having several employees or more, several maintenance truck rigs and such.
Do be fooled that just because you have employees and a "reel" shop that you are a professional. Pro-cuts post is about knowing your costs, and knowing the business. You can be very professional and be one of the best in the business without lots of employees and big buildings to house them in. I have also seen large companies that do not have a clue what they should be doing on someones lawn. They don't last long on one job site, but they are out there, and are not going anywhere.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

More good lessons from procut.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Fect View Post
Do be fooled that just because you have employees and a "reel" shop that you are a professional. Pro-cuts post is about knowing your costs, and knowing the business. You can be very professional and be one of the best in the business without lots of employees and big buildings to house them in. I have also seen large companies that do not have a clue what they should be doing on someones lawn. They don't last long on one job site, but they are out there, and are not going anywhere.
I appreciate your comment sir. I appreciate Procuts post too. He simplified things very well. You should look at my post and the one I quoted.

One of the best things I did early on was listened to Charles Vander Kooi seminar. I bought a few of his books. I even read them too. I referenced them time and again.
Besides his seminiar his book goes into great detail far beyond what Procut mentions. Not saying Procuts post are off because they are not, they are spot on! In reality however they are baby food designed to get beginners to take notice.

http://www.vanderkooi.com/
Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That should be everyone's goal to own a business, not work for their business. Getting out of the field is one of the most important things that needs to be done if you want to have a serious money making operation. Take notes from Eagle Landscape's thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed View Post
great post!
I didn't read all of the pages on this post. I learned a ton on the first page. Great post. You have laid out this extremely important information in easy to understand terms. Thank you for taking the time to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device