Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

2010 was a bad year for anti scalp wheels. For some reason that design came off the Law waaaay more than the other mowers... Took a little bit for them to catch it, and then they designed the new "Outlaw" anti scalp wheels, sorry for the issue on that, I just hope that after it happened the first time your dealer installed the new design, warrantied your wheels (as something not usually covered, but they did warranty them due to the circumstances), and you shouldn't see as many issues with them...

Now your belt issue is very uncommon with the law, I have prolly sold more laws than any dealer I would imagine, and I dont see many belt issues at all, there has to be something going on there... I am sure a good look over by the dealer and he could find out what is going on, or a call to tech support to walk you through the checks (if your dealer is uncooperative) I do not even keep very many belts in stock for the law. As far as the credit card spring thing.... or eyeballing it...lol, I recommend a belt tension tester, you might recommend it to your dealer. Mine was a hair over $100 I believe, but it is used many times a day, a must have for any mower dealer.

The deck height pin was smoothing out the lock and falling out on the first year issue, many of my guys got a pin from the hardware store that locks over the assembly after theirs fell out (not a big deal, like a $1 fix), after they caught that, the height pin was extended and a cord was attached to it in so they couldn't be lost, this year

As far as the deck hanger assembly hook, they sometimes fall off when in a bind, nuts work loose over the years, need to be tightened, etc, again a minor issue, just when on top of every issue seem like a big deal. That was a first issue brand new design mower, I was so impressed in the few minor issues we had, I was very worried as I pushed them pretty hard due to loving the design. I guess the biggest design changes we got on that machine this year was the anti sway bar on the deck (that way the deck wouldn't swing as much on the hangers), suspension and the smooth steering system on the xp. The thing I like about BB is how fast they are to address the issue and change, sometimes in less than a week after catching it....

Op sorry for your issues, get your dealer to "play" with your mower and spend a little research time on it to get to the bottom of the belt issue, run by your hardware store and grab a pin with a roll over end lock on it for a $1 (you will like it better anywayz...), and get the factory to send you the new design roller wheels (if you dont already have them), and you should be good to go...

I was more worried about tranny issues, and things like that going to the 5400's, but they have since become my favorite tranny over the past 3 years, anti scalp wheels and a height pin is nowhere near the deere debacle on the transmission system, or some of the other giant new release issues I have seen. I am sure if you get the belt issue worked out you will love your mower...

Everyone has their issues, even the 460. Have a lawncare guy here come by and borrow a mower from me as his pump belt came off and pulled the entire wheel motor completely off the mower...still dont know how that happened... He isnt pissed off or anything, understands he bought a new design that might have some kinks to work out, he was more ticked they didnt offer him a loaner and he had to come up to another shop to bum one.... Our local machine shop has welded so many decks up from different mowers, but admitted to never ever seeing a bad boy deck to weld (and I have nearly 1000 running around here now).

I personally sold 88 laws in the last 2 months, they are top of the line, and hold up with anyone else in the market, dont let little issues that arose in the new design period deter, i will put the law up against anything, and save some cash doing it...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our Toro 300 Z series has this issue with the left drive motor. On an incline it slips. Only 500 hrs on the machine. Kohler Command 18HP replaced at 300 hrs. But when it came time to demo and buy, Toro or Scag all the way.

What I'm trying to say is that I agree that ever brand has there bad moments... BUT... I do have to agree that BB squashes bad publicity no matter how minute. If I were them I'd take a look at the reason behind the bad publicity and try to resolve that first and THEN be concerned about the bad mouthing.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws

Last edited by BestImpressions99; 06-12-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to put the reason I started posting LOL
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at the BadBoy decks and they appear to be stout but the rear baffels do not appear to be no where near as braced as my XR7.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

2012 bb outlaw

I LOVE MY BB OUTLAW I did buy a BB zt 60 with the ele lift deck that i could not get the deck in the same place each time i used it it only had 5hrs on it . so i called my BB store and they said that I could trade up to a outlaw and that I would have to pay the dif $ between the two. so you see they work with you. but it is one bad mower lots of POWER
2-21' mowers
4-gas trimmers
4-gas blowers
3-back pack blowers
6x14 trailer/dovetail
7x18 open trailer / car
04 ford f-250 crew 4x4
2013 ford f-150 crew 4x4
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

In all fairness, I really think BB has good intentions to become a factor in the commercial business. My dealer has even admitted that they have QQ issues. I have no ill feelings toward my dealer. He is a good man and would do anything I asked of him. I just don't believe he should bear the blount. My only reason for posting this review is because of my lack of respect of BB treatment of their customers. We're not talking about thousands of dollars(about 300-400). I just think that a company that's trully trying to break into the commercial business would try harder.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

By "new design scalp wheels" if you mean 2011 scalp wheels, they sent me a complete set N/C. They started falling off within two weeks. BB recommended I locktight the wheels, which I did. They still fell off. I said in my original post that on the 2012 outlaw they put true locknuts on the wheels which SHOULD fix the problem. I can't help but doubt that it will. I think the spring problem was a technical problem with their engineering dept. Where in their manual(brochure) does it state where to adjust the spring? I can answer that, nowhere. Their own warranty manager told me to set it to the thickness of a credit card.

I spent 35 years in the automotive repair business. I understand what a dealer should do to keep a customer happy. But should he be responsible for BB's crappy engineering and lack of field testing? I don't think so.

As far as deleting this post, if that's what the mods want to to do with this, that's fine. I know what customer service is and this is not good customer service. If I can save someone the aggravation I've had, I've accomplished my goal.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

MBI, I think you need to read the thread before saying someone will work/not work with a person. Of course they'll work with you. You're paying the difference and trading up. They're not working with you AT ALL. They're just taking your money.

The problem is when you start to have difficulties with the machine within the warranty period or the same issue time and time again. THAT is where the problems/customer concern is coming from.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They field tested theirself pretty heavy, and also sent quite a few to florida (as it was off season during test period before release) and got quite a few changes to it before release. One big change was the 2 speed tranny.... I am very happy with their field testing, its just some issues take more than 35 or 50 units getting used for a couple of months to really come out.
Last year I got a XP prototype for nearly 5 months to bang around before the actual unit even got a release at the dealer meeting presentation, and it still has a few nitpicky things I would like to see different (I have never used a "perfect" mower, but its neat someone is listening and striving for it), Gravely and Bad Boy both are working on it pretty hard, and I think are world's over the competition in the "listening" department. The 460 and XP are a result of alot of that listening.... Cool thing about Bad Boy is everything they are doing for us and still not ridiculous on the pricing situation....
Op, send me a pm with your information, and I will forward up to the factory and maybe get you fixed up with a new height pin, some nuts that will hold your anti scalp wheels, and get you on the right track on your belt/spring issue...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Retro
Thanks for your offer. I received a call from a BB sales rep today and after explaining my problems to him he has agreed to get involved and help me. He said, basically, the same thing you did, that BB had redesigned the scalp wheels, solved the problem and also the height adj pin. What kind of irks me is that BB replaced the scalp wheels with the old style wheels in 2010 and didn't notify me of the change in 2011. I told Cliff at BB last week that the scalp wheels were still coming off and he didn't say anything about the new design hardware either.I guess my dealer didn't know of the change when he had my mower in 2011 so I thought I was struggling with new design wheels when I really was not. Also it bothers me that the same wheel came loose twice. I retired after managing tire stores for 34 years so trust me when I say that I know how to mount a tire and wheel assembly. The wheel was centered on the studs and torqued to 80 ft lb and should not have come off. The BB rep and my dealer thinks the wheel was left loose and I must admit, if I were them, I probably would also. Anyway, if the can keep stuff from falling off my mower, I'll be a happy camper. Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Was wondering if anyone has had any major issues with the 2012 bad boy outlaw? I am just starting apart time lanscaping business have about 12 small lawns with the biggest being a acre. Would like to to get around 40 yards max was wondering what ztr's you would recomend for me