Register free!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Simple troubleshooting?

Can a nicked wire cause high amperage?
Last weekend I installed some LED deck lights. Zig zagged wire through the posts. 1 fixture is no longer working. The meter reads about 22 amps and the wire is hot.

Is a nicked wire grounding out to the wood posts causing the failure?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

How many watts on the line? LED should create very low current draw. Remember watts divided by volts equals amps.

Sounds like a minor short to me. Any possibility of short to ground? A nicked wire jacket may cause your situation. I have seen this where the installer was using a staple gun to place the wire under the deck frame and nicked the jacketing.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Atkinson View Post
How many watts on the line? LED should create very low current draw. Remember watts divided by volts equals amps.
(16) 3w fixtures on about 30' of 10/2 wire. 48 total watts divided by 12 volts equals 4 amps.

That narrows down to a nicked lead wire causing a 22 amp draw. I drilled the wire path through the 8x8 post then fed wire through. How I could have nicked the jacket is beyond me.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Are you seeing any noticeable decrease in light output? Also check your connections where the fixture wires join the feeder cables. And try comparing your actual voltage at the sockets, one close to the transformer, one at the end of the run. With LED your voltage should not vary too much.

Good Luck with your project.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Disconnect the fixture that is not functioning and re-check your amp draw. If it returns to normal then you either have a wiring flaw or a fixture failure.

Yes it is possible to have a nicked wire cause an ongoing short. This can be a very real safety issue and needs to be dealt with right away. What type of transformer are you using? It should have onboard secondary protection (breaker or fuse) that shuts the transformer off when a short circuit is present.

Also, it is a very good idea to individually fuse those circuits that power up fixtures mounted to buildings and structures. An added measure of safety and security.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

James... good point about fusing runs of fixtures attached to buildings/structures. I just installed a Nightscaping Savoy to a structure via a HATCH transformer. I know the transformer has internal protection but I was thinking of adding a fuse. I have 25 watts or so on the transformer so I am going to put a 3 amp fuse inline.

Now... to Stuttering Stan.... just curious, why you used 10 ga wire for such a low current zone?

I would agree with James in that it could be a bad fixture,

OR perhaps the fixture mounting screws have pierced the lead wire to that fixture. What kind of LED Deck light are these? Could it be that the mounting screw pierced the wire within the wood post?

Try removing the screws that hold that fixture on and see if your short changes. That kind of amp draw is most likely a short.

Let us know what you find

good luck

George
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen this when the circuit is bridged "weakly" usually an errant strand of copper or two at a staple or screw where the wire has been nicked. thus the heat on the cable. I have also seen readings like this on a halogen bulb that has blown, not lit, but somehow is bridging the circuit and drawing amps on heat.

the secondary protection only works on short circuits over 25 amps or so.

starting on the non working light is the obvious, if the prolem persists after that, but after that I would disconnect the last half and check amps on the first 1/2. if you are good, then add the next 3 or so and check again. it helps narrow down which part of the wiring needs to be redone.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting;4441701] What type of transformer are you using? It should have onboard secondary protection (breaker or fuse) that shuts the transformer off when a short circuit is present. [QUOTE]

I'm using a Kichler Pro 300w. The breaker was not tripped.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLC RI View Post
Now... to Stuttering Stan.... just curious, why you used 10 ga wire for such a low current zone?

I would agree with James in that it could be a bad fixture,

Let us know what you find

good luck

George
I had an extra spool of 10ga from a hub job we did several years ago. I would have used 12ga if I had to buy wire for this project.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, thanks for all the advice. I narrowed the problem down to a nicked lead wire inside the post. I installed new wiring and it amped at 0.5. If I can find the card reader, I'll post pics tomorrow so this can be a learning experience and I'd like to hear a critique from others.