Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I only posted it as an option...assuming one could bury and hide the cow bucket with something cosmetic and put their pump in it...all hidden.

I wouldn't think one would need to be a genius to understand a little bit about a water reservoir for basically a "sump pump" to pump water back up a hill. If I am wrong...my bad.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did this as a "homeowner" several years ago. I don't know if it will help or get me laughed at, but here it is...

I used a small container I bought at a water garden supply place.
I used bricks to support the weight of the vessel and covered it with a drop-ceiling light grid.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No laughter. Looks quite good. You used a planting container of sufficient volume made from fairly heavy ABS, you provided support for the small urn and a grid to support the decorative rocks. For a 5 foot urn the OP will need more reservoir space and considerably more support.
Nice photos, btw!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get a piece of copper pipe and slide over that black bubbler for a classier look.

I searched ebay for vaults today and couldnt believe the prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Professionally installed quality Water Features are not and will never be a Thrift Store item. Specialty luxury items never are. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
No laughter. Looks quite good. You used a planting container of sufficient volume made from fairly heavy ABS, you provided support for the small urn and a grid to support the decorative rocks. For a 5 foot urn the OP will need more reservoir space and considerably more support.
Nice photos, btw!
Thanks. The whole thing was my first attempt at such things.

I could have gone out and bought one of those "kits" and been done with it, but I wanted something unique, and we wanted a blue pot, as we were planning a "blue garden" for that section.
I built the wall as well...

I want to say it was 6 years ago that I built it and it hasn't moved. (PA winters) Every stone is solid. I enjoyed building it, but it's a lot of work doing it by yourself, so that's why I stick to mowing and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
You can get a piece of copper pipe and slide over that black bubbler for a classier look.

I searched ebay for vaults today and couldnt believe the prices.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the tip!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Professionally installed quality Water Features are not and will never be a Thrift Store item. Specialty luxury items never are. It's the nature of the beast.
Either way its a rip off. I would rather make more profit, or discount the job to get it. Maybe paying $300 for a piece of plastic makes you feel more professional? It makes me feel like a sucker!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Either way its a rip off. I would rather make more profit, or discount the job to get it. Maybe paying $300 for a piece of plastic makes you feel more professional? It makes me feel like a sucker!
Posted via Mobile Device
When I use manufactured components, it is done so because I know that a considerable amount of research and engineering have gone into the development of that product with the result being that I am confident that the product will generally meet the needs for which it is designed. That is not to say that I will not improvise on occasion.
The idea of using less than ideal materials for a project in order to increase the profit margin is unquestionably UN-professional and results in the customer being made as the sucker for paying for something of lower quality than they had bargained for.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah anything i would improvise would be of the same quality or better than a $10 piece of engineered plastic and neither i or the customer would pay unnessary costs. I know the savings i will have not using a vault on my current project will keep the project within my clients budget and she will be able to have a nicer water feature. And quality will not be sacrificed. Client is going to get a nice affordable water feature and we get to bill out for 30 man hours. Win-win.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be interested in seeing your eventual solution. I sure others on this forum would also be interested. Post your final list of materials and components, and maybe a photo or two of the construction stages.