Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What is this grass, and how do I kill it?

I'm trying to reclaim what has become a very ugly lawn. I've removed a blackberry jungle, planted a few nice bushes and am re-seeding that plot, but salvaging the established "lawn" is giving me a headache.

Specifically this obnoxious grass that I can't get rid of. It's broad-bladed, grows in clumps, and strangles out the desirable grasses.

The first two have been mowed recently. The third is about a three-week growth. I'm located in northern Oregon, in a semi-arid climate.

Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

That's Kentucky 31 Fescue. Good luck killing it. I can tell you Tenacity doesn't.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep, after doing a Google Image search, it looks like you hit it right on the head.

Most suggestions I've found consist of "painting" the bunches with RU, and removing them individually, but since most of my lawn is this stuff, I may just have to blanket spray it, rip it up, and re-seed.

Hopefully, someone happens to jump in with a selective herbicide that kills K31 (and won't break the bank) but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Last edited by Xader; 06-12-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the cheapest way to get rid of it is just to forget its there. the stuff is a nightmare to get rid of.

honestly the best way ive found to get rid of it is to just dig it up and reseed. the stuff is rediculously resiliant pretty much nothing kills it. painting it with RU will work. but id just dig it up.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Member

So is this a weed or a strain produced by a company that has gone awry?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is not a weed, it is "utility" fescue. I would vertimow the shiit out of it, level it out with topsoil if needed, and start an over seeding program with a finer bladed fescue and compost top dress.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much of a yard are we talking about? If small enough rent a sod cutter and cutt it deep and sod or seed
Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For tall fescue removal in some lawns...........I use a mixture of Simazine and Imazaquin(image) combined. I just hit the clumps and not blanket spray the lawns. I am in the south and the grass in question is considered a weed growing in bermuda and zoysia lawns. There is products out there that will remove it but will take multiple applications as this grass is deep rooted and consistently recovering from low mowing. If you have this grass as a dominant turf, to remove it will require starting over with reworking the soil and leveling the lawn with new topsoils.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

By the way--I didn't catch where you are located so take my post as in warning for other cool season turf that may be surrounding you.
I do not know if your area........being cool season zones will even sell simazine let alone have it for general consumer purchase. Image is sold in many nurseries, and ticket stores under various trade names. It will take a few days to activate with watering in within 48 hours of treatment. The K31 will show signs of chlorosis followed by some reddening of the foliage. Please be careful as this product(s) will harm cool season turf severely and reseeding isn't something you will want to do unless it is necessary.