Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HADCO BL5016-AS7BAB Bullyte Black

Anybody have experience with these lights? Are they ok or are they junk?

http://www.amazon.com/HADCO-BL5016-A.../dp/B000OH048M
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's basically the default contractor fixture of choice down here. I would say that you see the 5016 bullet here about 5 times as much as any other small directional bullet. Vista 2216 would be the next in line, but it's a distant second. Little bit of info...

Pros:
1. That price is terrible, you can do MUCH better (Let's just say if that is the 7 watt LED, the price is more in line).

2. Hadco is a philips company, I have had great experience with them instantly warrantying any product issues on the spot, no questions asked.

3. The 5016 is a generic base model fixture. It doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles, but it's quite durable, two large O rings do a pretty solid job of keeping it water tight. I have seen plenty of these fixtures in the ground that are over 10 years old.

4. The fixtures base screws into the stake and has an adjustable nut that allows you to self tighten once you are comfortable with it's alignment. (Something Vista still has not seemed to give a damn about.)

Cons:
1) Fixture comes with a 3 ft lead, if you are used to 25 foot leads, this is a con.

2) Hadco ships most all of their fixtures with starter lamps, I have been complaining about that and they are generally pretty good about listening.

3) It's a very generic fixture. Personally, I love this. It doesn't stand out, it's very bland looking, but it's not ugly. Honestly it blends into most landscapes very naturally.

4) They are a little suspect about allowing water in when downlighting.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah i am trying to find a cheaper option to quote out at the same time i quote vists halogen and vista led.

I bought 10 hadco's for 22.50 shipped. If i can do better than that somewhere, let me know!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post

I bought 10 hadco's for 22.50 shipped. If i can do better than that somewhere, let me know!
I think GreenLight was referring to the ebay price which you linked.
My reaction was the same......you could do better. Apparently you did.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Yeah i am trying to find a cheaper option to quote out at the same time i quote vists halogen and vista led.

Probably not a good idea to openly discuss what you paid for them, I was just trying to warn you about that price you were looking at on the site you displayed. But in full disclosure, yes, you are doing pretty darn well at that price point (it's beating mine on 5016, 616 is a different story).

Short follow up on Hadco LED since you are doing some comparing. I have been very pleased with the color and performance so far. It's a drop in, but if it fails hadco replaces the whole fixture (I haven't had any failures yet). Im still a little confused about why they do that, but I have had a few people try to explain it to me and some of it is logical but seems a little paranoid.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i bought them on ebay from somebody, i just have not priced them at my dealer and did not know what the contractor wholesale price was.

I saw some volt led's that looked nice in the pic, very competive pricing. I was thinking of buying one to check it out. The led price was about vista halogen price. What do you think of volt?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have any experience with volt. In all honesty I am very loyal to hadco in most areas and only really venture away from them for some specialy fixtures that Vista and FX have that I prefer on rare occasions. From reading posts over the past few years most people I have seen on here that use the volt product seem pleased and the volt reps on here seem knowledgeable and staunch in their defense of the product. That said, I have zero first hand experience.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. I feel better about my purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

So far I have installed the BL5016 Kit and the RL4 Kit for two different customers.
My expertise is using integral wall lights on walls, I am originally a mason but have added on lights as a up sell for my business.

I have been very happy with the hadco line because they are local for me in PA and I can get them relatively fast. The other company I work with is Integral Lighting but they only have wall lights so the hadco accent and path lights are a good compliment.

Here are the respective kits I got
BL5016 http://www.buddingco.com/Hadco-Light...bullet-kit.htm

RL4 http://www.buddingco.com/Hadco-Light...thlyte-kit.htm
Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

well said james. probably one of the reasons I see so many of these and we replace quite a few as well, at least down here, is that these fixtures are stocked at several home lighting showrooms and distributors that sell to electricians. While I would say they are a solid step up from a big box store fixture, but not quite a best quality fixture out there.

and although hadco fixtures come up short, I have nothing against hadco transformers so far. guaranteed for life, they have performed flawlessly in the field so far and we have quite a few out there.