Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

not bragging or anything like that but we have had several customers refer us to others and even have the referrals do the same. Our trick... do a great job no matter the size lot or price, be honest, be respectful, be friendly, treat them like your boss, use your manners... We have never had to use gimmicks before, if someone likes you and appreciates you they will talk about you in a good way without having to be bribed.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc240nt View Post
Obviously, you have to make it worth their time. Lets see, a $50.00 incentive vs a free mow...? In some parts of the country those values maybe the same, but not around my neck of the woods. That $50.00 will get you more interest then a free mow. Many business experts recommend for small businesses to offer incentives to help growth. Its also another reason for your client to feel good about working with you. Reward them once in awhile and they may be loyal for many years.
My mows are from $35 to $72 a week.
It's as if someone was offered a free tank of gas or a decent meal for two or a meal for one in an upscale restaurant.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
not bragging or anything like that but we have had several customers refer us to others and even have the referrals do the same. Our trick... do a great job no matter the size lot or price, be honest, be respectful, be friendly, treat them like your boss, use your manners... We have never had to use gimmicks before, if someone likes you and appreciates you they will talk about you in a good way without having to be bribed.
I think you are right on. I have had customers go out of their way to sell jobs for me. I have one client that has personally sold 5 irrigation systems for me by on his daily walk. I have been doing landscaping for over 15 years and my eyes have really been opened this year about how to improve quality.

Usually, it is the little things that people are impressed by. I would try to brainstorm and examine how you can increase your quality. People really notice and appreciate the little things.

After a referral, I ALWAYS reward the client that has referred me whether it is a gift certificate out to eat, a free month of service, or a free irrigation service call.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc240nt View Post
Obviously, you have to make it worth their time. Lets see, a $50.00 incentive vs a free mow...? In some parts of the country those values maybe the same, but not around my neck of the woods. That $50.00 will get you more interest then a free mow. Many business experts recommend for small businesses to offer incentives to help growth. Its also another reason for your client to feel good about working with you. Reward them once in awhile and they may be loyal for many years.
One of my commercial clients referred me to another commercial client. After the referral, I did not charge him for a month of service on all his properties equalling about $800. In the next month, he spent 10k with me.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I think you are right on. I have had customers go out of their way to sell jobs for me. I have one client that has personally sold 5 irrigation systems for me by on his daily walk. I have been doing landscaping for over 15 years and my eyes have really been opened this year about how to improve quality.

Usually, it is the little things that people are impressed by. I would try to brainstorm and examine how you can increase your quality. People really notice and appreciate the little things.

After a referral, I ALWAYS reward the client that has referred me whether it is a gift certificate out to eat, a free month of service, or a free irrigation service call.
Ya, the little things are where it's at. Bringing the trashcans from the curb for your clients, taking an extra 2 minutes to blow off the deck or porch if it's accessible, putting the newspaper by the front door if it's out on the sidewalk, when talking to your clients address them as Mr., Mrs., yes sir, yes ma'am..... You would really be surprised at how many people notice the little things and remember them. Some of our best residential customers (dealing with and pay rate) have been from word of mouth referrals and those are the types of customers you keep for years and years too.

I'm 31 and have been doing this since jr. high.... all I hear is how my generation is worthless and could care less, and basically my clients are right. So when you and your crew go out of you way to prove people wrong and show people that some still are decent humans it pays off.