Register free!

Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing Per Sq Ft

I may already know how to do this formula but I am trying to change and update my pricing I want to start doing things by Sq. Ft. so its easier to price jobs. I know that all chemicals dont cost the same So if Im right you take the oz of herbicide per sq ft. take the cost per oz then take your labor and labor burden and put on the top, but where I cant get this straight is the time it takes to spray an area as there can be varables. Can you good guys help me with this and maybe give me some imput on what you charge or how you figure your sq. ft charge.

Thanks and may God Bless

James
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Figure out what you want your mark up to be on your chemicals etc.. Then just figure out a flat rate charge on top for your time. Be sure to include the time you spend mixing chemicals, cleaning and calibrating, driving, and your knowledge. That is all worth something. For instance. $X.00 to show up + $X.00 per 1000 sq ft. You need to figure out what your costs and time are worth though. Hope that helps.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Program Microsoft Excel to do your math for you

I use the Excel spread sheet for all my Chemicals. I set it up so I only have to enter the current price per package whether it comes in quarts or 55 gallon drums. This allows me to quickly keep up with changing Prices.

Excel kicks out to me the cost per thousand of each product I use at both High and Low rate. It also adds up my different standard rounds and gives me a cost per thousand for each round and a yearly total. I add in a 10% fudge figure for human error and my over head and profit.

What you are asking for is FORMULA ESTIMATING. Nothing wrong this IF you base it on actual costs + profit. Don't take someone else Formula and expect it to work for you.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is best to find you average cost per sqft for chemicals over the whole year. It might be around 25 percent of your price. Add your equipment cost--say 20 cents so that your equipment purchase, gas, oil, and repairs are covered. Try to cover 1000 sqft per minute. Add your labor, say, a dollar a minute. (Labor charge is more if you pay yourself benefits, or if you have to sweat, or if you are skilled labor (licensed, college courses, 5 years experience, very anal).)
Add your per stop "arrival fee" (the cost of vehicle and labor to drive to the site). Add your per stop "overhead fee", (last year's overhead divided by the number of stops you made).

A large company in our town charges $22 per stop plus $6 per thousand.

Adjust upward if no competition, you advertise heavily, or if you have the looks of a movie star and a warm and friendly sparkling personality.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you send me a sample of your spread sheet or tell me how you came to use that. Thanks so much for your help...

I use the Excel spread sheet for all my Chemicals. I set it up so I only have to enter the current price per package whether it comes in quarts or 55 gallon drums. This allows me to quickly keep up with changing Prices.

Excel kicks out to me the cost per thousand of each product I use at both High and Low rate. It also adds up my different standard rounds and gives me a cost per thousand for each round and a yearly total. I add in a 10% fudge figure for human error and my over head and profit.

What you are asking for is FORMULA ESTIMATING. Nothing wrong this IF you base it on actual costs + profit. Don't take someone else Formula and expect it to work for you.

.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc View Post
Can you send me a sample of your spread sheet or tell me how you came to use that. Thanks so much for your help...

[/QUOTE]

Excel is rather easy to set up. You need to do your own Excel spread sheet with your fert program. If you need help, find a local friend or computer geek to help you. Once they show how simple Excel is to program you can do it your self.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 06-16-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Love it. you say you already know how but want others to share theirs. Since you started the thread how about you post yours and we will discuss it.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Love it. you say you already know how but want others to share theirs. Since you started the thread how about you post yours and we will discuss it.

Duekster, I'll give the guy a break and say he was asking for the EXCEL SPREAD SHEET not the actual math. First Time I used Excel I had a retired CPA teach me. It didn't take long to understand the simple programing with an instructor.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Duekster, I'll give the guy a break and say he was asking for the EXCEL SPREAD SHEET not the actual math. First Time I used Excel I had a retired CPA teach me. It didn't take long to understand the simple programing with an instructor.

I would still like to see his formula.