Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are a landscape company many Mulch dealers will give you a discount. To me your price is fine but your cost of mulch seems high. I would not drop my price... $30 per hour on the low side.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you pass the discount on to the consumer? They're not able to get the same discount and they don't know that you're even able to get one. Call me shady but I charge retail and most of the time a few bucks more per yard for mulch. How much time is wasted at the supply yard?

Mulch is not created equal, I use a fairly high quality dyed mulch but you can find garbage mulch out there for cheap. Not to mention prices vary from region to region.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Why would you pass the discount on to the consumer? They're not able to get the same discount and they don't know that you're even able to get one. Call me shady but I charge retail and most of the time a few bucks more per yard for mulch. How much time is wasted at the supply yard?

Mulch is not created equal, I use a fairly high quality dyed mulch but you can find garbage mulch out there for cheap. Not to mention prices vary from region to region.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you are responding to me, please re-read my post.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

More Mulch Bid Questions

This question is very timely for me as well. We do a lot of weeding, edging and renovating beds for clients, as we mostly design and install shrubs and perennial beds. The prep work for this is often very time consuming when we are ripping out the old shrubs as well, so I charge by the hour giving them a ballpark estimate up front because we never know what is below the surface. Any thoughts on how to give a firmer quote without underbidding?

Also, we are now adding mowing to our services, so we are getting asked to just install mulch in existing beds. When cutting a natural edge, what is the typical depth? We do at least 4-5", but it takes longer and disposal is often an issue. I see replys for 60-80 bucks, and is that just spreading the mulch, or does it include weeding and cutting the edge.

Thanks - We are in northern CT.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

not sure of your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Some... View Post
I pay $57.00 w/tax for 2 yards picked up....really more like 2.5...depends who loads it.

Charge $150-$165...delivered and installed, no bed prep included.

Have done it for $125 when they are getting 30+ yards and there is alot of bed prep.
do you mean 150-165 per yard?

likewise 125 per yard times 30 yards. how much of that is bed prep, and is this for an existing customer, or a new one with tons of weeds and no edging?

Tags
college , landscaping , mulch