Register free!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to give my clients 3 options.

Hadco - no warranty
Vista halogen - 2 year warranty
Vista led - 10 year warranty on fixture

I have bid on about 3 jobs in the week or two, but nobody wants to let go of the money. And I have bid them very competitively. Just trying to give clients another option.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I want to give my clients 3 options.

Hadco - no warranty
Vista halogen - 2 year warranty
Vista led - 10 year warranty on fixture

I have bid on about 3 jobs in the week or two, but nobody wants to let go of the money. And I have bid them very competitively. Just trying to give clients another option.
So how do you feel when they go for the cheaper option and then have a problem? And what do you say to them? "Oh well, you chose the cheap stuff."

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
So how do you feel when they go for the cheaper option and then have a problem? And what do you say to them? "Oh well, you chose the cheap stuff."
It means they get billed for a service call and replacement light.

I got real close to selling a 6 light job last week. Vista bullets, vista 150 watt transformer... $1500 2 year warranty add 275 for led. Still did not get the job. I mean goddamn that is cheap. But i want to find an even cheaper option.

Honestly i have some cheaper fixtures at my house, the finish is starting to fade a bit, but i havent had a bulb burn out in a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd recommend not giving them options. Since you are the expert, you should know what is best for the application. Tell them that the lighting system will cost XXX. If they want it done, they will agree to the price. From past experiences, I've had too much headache giving the customer options.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I just saw those posted on ebay... I don't know who's selling them... at that price..but they're giving them away.... it's one thing to sell lots of 10, but it's another to charge less than the cost of one .. for all 10. when I see pricing like that, I often become suspicious as to where they got them that they are selling them that cheap.

As for the Hadco BL5016... I agree with the consensus... I've been using these fixtures since they came out... decent, solid.. basic fixture with a pretty durable finish...

The value when you buy with lamp and stake is good... I also know that they have or will be coming out very soon with the combo of fixture, stake and Phillips LED.

George
Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lighting View Post
I'd recommend not giving them options. Since you are the expert, you should know what is best for the application. Tell them that the lighting system will cost XXX. If they want it done, they will agree to the price. From past experiences, I've had too much headache giving the customer options.
I like giving more options to clients. I think it increases my chances of selling. It two landscape designs for a client the other day bc they would not give me a budget. If they cannot afford a 10k dollar job maybe they can afford a 5k job.

Not everyone can drive a lexus, but alot of people drive toyotas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I like giving more options to clients. I think it increases my chances of selling. It two landscape designs for a client the other day bc they would not give me a budget. If they cannot afford a 10k dollar job maybe they can afford a 5k job.

Not everyone can drive a lexus, but alot of people drive toyotas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Without my going into a long explanation: It is called "qualifying" the client.
A good salesperson will determine ahead the client's wants, needs, and amount they are likely to spend.There are ways to get them to commit to a budget without merely asking them.

As for your landscape designs, I assume you changed the "scope" of the design not the "quality" of the plants and materials. Or am I wrong?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah sometimes it is hard pulling a budget out of someone. Maybe i just suck, but i think others struggle too. What ways do you use to get clients to committ to a budget?

One design had more specimen plants and natural stone accent planters and the other was more basic, but still nicer than any other yard in the neighborhood.

Not all clients want to pay for encore azaleas, regular azaleas will satisfy them.

Sure i want to sell led lighting on every job, but if i cant do that then why not give them a more affordable yet still quality option? Hell i paid for the sales lead, damn right i am going to try to sell them something
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah sometimes it is hard pulling a budget out of someone. Maybe i just suck, but i think others struggle too. What ways do you use to get clients to committ to a budget?

One design had more specimen plants and natural stone accent planters and the other was more basic, but still nicer than any other yard in the neighborhood.

Not all clients want to pay for encore azaleas, regular azaleas will satisfy them.

Sure i want to sell led lighting on every job, but if i cant do that then why not give them a more affordable yet still quality option? Hell i paid for the sales lead, damn right i am going to try to sell them something
Posted via Mobile Device
You seem to be giving way to many options to your potential clients. I mean if you want to reinvent the wheel go for it but give them 1 price. Then let them know if they cant budget it all at once you can do it in "zones"
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do your clients ever want an led price and a halogen price?

Could not zone out a 6 light system i mentioned earlier. Alot of my jobs seem to be smaller... Front of the house, backyard, etc. i am not a big dog lighting company... Just alandscaping company trying to increase lighting sales in a town that outdoor lighting is not very prevalent. And i just like doing it. And i have an anal retensive irrigation tech that is a great installer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by muddywater; 06-18-2012 at 09:51 PM.