Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No loyalty
Cheap
People everywhere
Trash
Oh and did I mention trash everywhere.

Some commercial stuff is awesome, but getting into those kinda accts require being "in the know" and proven. Takes time. At one time I had a hard on for commercial work then I acquired a few. Typically I end up pricing my self out.

Good Luck.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, i originally posted this topic. I wish you guys would stop telling me what i should or need to do, and give me advice on what i asked. HOW to get commercial accounts, not if i should do it or not. I have 42 Residential accounts already, and i am ready to move on to commercial accounts. There has to be a lawn care guy that takes care of the local bank and taco bell, i'm that guy now. So, any help?!! Like i said, i've been in residential for a while already. And if commercial is so bad, then why are you guys doing it?!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like all of my commercial accounts, but like I said, around here most are done on a yearly bid contract.... bids usually go out in February, and find out who is the person at the properties who are responsible for them whether it's the manager at McD's or the head maintenance guy at the assembly plant... most of that stuff you have to contact and find the leads yourself, make a lot of calls, write a lot of letters. One of ours is a regional grocery chain that one of corp guys makes the decisions on 7 stores in 2 states separated from the farthest points by over 120 miles. You have to know who you need to talk to.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I like all of my commercial accounts, but like I said, around here most are done on a yearly bid contract.... bids usually go out in February, and find out who is the person at the properties who are responsible for them whether it's the manager at McD's or the head maintenance guy at the assembly plant... most of that stuff you have to contact and find the leads yourself, make a lot of calls, write a lot of letters. One of ours is a regional grocery chain that one of corp guys makes the decisions on 7 stores in 2 states separated from the farthest points by over 120 miles. You have to know who you need to talk to.
thanks. do you have any advice on keeping grass clippings out of flowerbeds and landscapes? Just like all the commercial properties, you could have different landscapes and mulch areas every which way and there is never grass clippings. are these guys bagging their machines? or what do you normally do?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

get an OCDC, you can't keep 100% of the clippings out, but you can about 95%, mow with the chute away when you can, but invest a couple hundred and get an OCDC for each mower you have.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
get an OCDC, you can't keep 100% of the clippings out, but you can about 95%, mow with the chute away when you can, but invest a couple hundred and get an OCDC for each mower you have.
I'm actually in the process of getting new equipment. A Couple zero turns. Is there any new ones with the OCDC already on the mowers or is that usually aftermarket deal
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a couple manufacturers offer them from the factory, but I got mine aftermarket, the thing about it is if you can't get right up to the beds you still have to trim them, which will get clippings in, although not near as much as a discharge chute.

Baggers for commercial ZTRs are $$$$$$. Honestly for fall cleanups I have a couple Cub Cadet garden tractors with baggers that do just as well for leaves and are about 1/2 to 1/3 the price, the big difference is they rely on the deck to push the leaves into the bins vs. having a powered blower to push them up.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris brauch View Post
I'm actually in the process of getting new equipment. A Couple zero turns. Is there any new ones with the OCDC already on the mowers or is that usually aftermarket deal
My Dixie Chopper has one as Standard EQ. It is the Classic.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess that's my other question. when it comes to fall clean ups, what is an economically way to clean the leafs up without killing yourself with a rake. just get a bagger hooked up to a lawn tractor?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Sponsor

You could try doing a direct mail campaign to the local businesses.. If you would like any info or pricing on that i'd be glad to help.. We can target specific areas and you can select businesses only and you could send out a post card letting them know you are there.. My name is Glenda you can give me a call at 1-866-778-4254 or shoot me an email anytime at glenda@adeasprinting.com