Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2003, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn Rolling

I have a cub Tank ZTR And am wondering if it is supposed to roll if the bars are open, When I have my trailor on a hill and try to drive on I have to lift the park brake with my toes to keep from rolling back, Cub tech says this is not prob. what is the truth?
Thanks
Dennis
Old 07-07-2003, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

OK guys, not looking for a tech answer just want to know if those of you that own Z's. Do they roll (free wheeling) when you drive on your trailor if it is on a hill.
I have to pull up the parking brake with my foot to keep from rolling bkwds,(engine running)
Old 07-07-2003, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mine will creep alittle some of the times, but I always use the brake when I transport it. If it creeps alot, I would adjust it or take it to the dealer to have them adjust them. There should be some resistance even when the brake is off and the engine is off, if not maybe your freewheeling adjusters need tighten up.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Wriken
Thanks for reply but some miss understanding.
I always transport with brake engaged, but when I drive on trailor, if it is parked on a hill when I open levers so I can pull up brake the mower will start rolling bkwds. so I have to keep small amount of fwd pressure on the levers and lift brake with my foot.
So is the mower suppossed to free roll with engine running and levers in open postion??
Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My 60" mower which is the older one, pretty much stays put as long as it takes me to apply the brake, the 72" on the other hand, will roll alittle more, I sometimes grab the brake as to where the engine starts to die, then push the handles out real quick. I like to idle the motors for a few till I shut them down. But even the worst rolling one, I can live with, not bad enough for me to take to dealer. To answer your question about rolling w/levers open, no it should'nt excessive.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

the Cub Cadet is the same mower as Lesco's Z-2 mower which I am very familiar with since I work at Lesco. Both mowers are made by MTD. Depending on how steep of a grade you are parking on, it should not roll on a slight grade, but on a steep grade:any zero turn mower will roll to some degree. You say it "pretty much stays put" leads me to believe your linkage needs to be adjusted slightly. This should be a fairly minor procedure. If your Cub Cadet dealer that sold you the mower is unwilling to make the necessary adjustments,you might consider taking it by a Lesco service center if one is near you. To find your nearest Lesco service center, check their website( www.lesco.com ) or call their customer service number. 1-800-321-5325 and they can either direct you to tech services or tell you where your nearest service center is located.