Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have replaced the carburetors on 80% of my equipment now. On one piece of equipment, the engine didn't cost much more than the carburetor, so the engine got replaced. I'm sure the manufacture of that engine used a fair bit of energy. I had two carburetors go in one week due to ethanol gas. It's amazing how fast it can ruin a carburetor, just a few minutes.

If there was good equipment that ran on propane or cng (with home base filling unit), I would be all over it. I'm really sick of this so called gasoline, and where I live, that's all we have for 400 miles.

Michael
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My runnability problems have disappeared.

Has something to do with no longer using ethanol. I am paying more for real gas, but it is worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
That's comparing apples to oranges. I want to see straight 91 grade without ethanol compared to the same gasoline now with 10% ethanol added. I agree that the RON is going to increase but with 10% it's going to be slight. Matter of fact I don't even think the R+M/2 number on the pump even takes into account the added ethanol especially since it's added after the fact. Further, the intention for adding ethanol is not to boost octane, but to tell the public we have reduced our gasoline consumption by 10% with something produced in this country. Unfortunately in reality it doesn't work that way because of poorer mileage.

Here is what Ford has to say about E85 and remember that this is 85% ethanol and only 15% gasoline:

Want to add power to Ford's all-new 5.0-liter V-8 for the 2011 F-150 without making a single hardware or software change? Just burn E85 ethanol fuel.

360 horsepower (at 5,500 rpm) and 380 pounds-feet of torque (at 4,250 rpm) running on regular unleaded gasoline.

Burning E85 fuel boosts 5.0 engine power to 375 hp and 390 pounds-feet of torque, said Mike Harrison, Ford's program manager for V-8 engines.

Ethanol has a higher octane and heat-of-vaporization point than gasoline, meaning it combusts at a higher temperature and with greater force (higher compression) than gasoline, while also having a greater capacity to cool the fuel/air mix in the cylinder before combustion.

This inherent efficiency is what enables the 5.0 to produce more power while burning E85 instead of regular unleaded fuel.

There's a trade-off, though. Even though E85 combusts with greater force, it has less energy per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline, so fuel economy is worse when burning E85.

There's the reason straight ethanol is used as a racing fuel but at 10% in an engine designed for gasoline the benefit is less than zero.
Hmm...this backs up some of my posts in another thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had one problem with a fuel pump that I can only think was from ethanol...first pump (mikuni) lasted 5 years, second pump (rotary) lasted 1 month, third pump (mikuni) has been good so far so I can only think that the first pump that sims decided to dissolve one day had had enough...the second was inferior plastic not designed for alcohol and the third being OEM is again designed to handle alcohol fuels.

Zero problems with other equipment and I but the cheapest fuel I can find...I am not fuel brand loyal. I use no additives in any fuel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There is something you can do to help your larger equipment like mowers. Part of the problem with ethanol enhanced fuels is it eats rubber. If you're having a problem with it eating your fuel lines you can do one of 2 things.

1: Buy high quality, American made, fuel injection hose. These hoses are made to resist the alcohol. They do a much better job of it than a regular hose and a much better job than a Chinese manufactured hose.

2: You can use an even better hose than that though. I've been using EFI nylon fuel line when I can. It is a hard nylon tubing. It's inside size is .275" or slightly larger than 1/4". You have to heat it up to bend it into the shape you want and to slip it over fuel fittings. I've had no failures of this line so far and it's good for at least 20 years or so. You can buy it here: http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/..._and_Fuel_Line
Fuel line for radio controlled equipment should be alcohol resistant, also look for fuel hose for alcohol kart racing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I've had one problem with a fuel pump that I can only think was from ethanol...first pump (mikuni) lasted 5 years, second pump (rotary) lasted 1 month, third pump (mikuni) has been good so far so I can only think that the first pump that sims decided to dissolve one day had had enough...the second was inferior plastic not designed for alcohol and the third being OEM is again designed to handle alcohol fuels.

Zero problems with other equipment and I but the cheapest fuel I can find...I am not fuel brand loyal. I use no additives in any fuel.
Posted via Mobile Device
My mechanic loves ethanol. He said it is great work for him as it causes the rubber inside fuel pumps to swell and stop pumping.

Then again, he loves Ford's 6.0 POS diesel because that brings a lot of work his way too.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
My mechanic loves ethanol. He said it is great work for him as it causes the rubber inside fuel pumps to swell and stop pumping.

Then again, he loves Ford's 6.0 POS diesel because that brings a lot of work his way too.
This particular pump was a diaphragm pump on a mower, not a typical gear pump on an auto.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Busted rotted primer bulbs, rotted fuel lines, and a broken seal on a fuel tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
And quick too, apparently. All of my current equipment has never seen E10, until July 4th. I didn't want to do it, but I ran out of gas with two lawns to go. Picked up 1 gallon and threw the bottle of oil in there. By late yesterday afternoon I had a Kawi edger and trimmer with split primer bulbs. The edger refuses to rev at all. This a piece of equipment that has never given me a minute of problem. On the last lawn today the blower is slow to revs and sounds terrible.

I guess I should have just called it a day and waited until Thursday morning the get my gasoline. I knew not to do it, but figured I was being paranoid and one tank wouldn't hurt anything.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
And quick too, apparently.

That would be way too quick, imo.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
That would be way too quick, imo.

Yeah, one day ain't gonna do what you describe.
Posted via Mobile Device