Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

DOT compliance missouri or kansas mess!

I got stopped in overland park , ks last night. My truck is a 3/4 ton dodge and I pull a 12' single axle. He said that I needed DOT numbers. He performed a full inspection of my rig. It passed. I have several questions. Occasionally
I tow a 7k trailer also.
1) Where do I go for my DOT numbers? Highway patrol? I live in MO and work in KS
2) How much insurance do I need and what type? Currently I have personal insurance that covers up to 100k.
3) Do I need a CDL? I've never grossed over 13k
4) Does the trailer need its own number? I subcontract and the trailer I use is provided I don't own it.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Your numbers would cover any truck and trailer of your own but I can't say for sure how the other trailer would work.

A Class A CDL License is required when the combination of the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Here is where you can do it online. The unfortunate part is that you have to go through a safety audit because you will have to be interstate (crossing state lines), where I am intrastate for now because my work is all local.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Hope that helps a little
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I got stopped in overland park , ks last night. My truck is a 3/4 ton dodge and I pull a 12' single axle. He said that I needed DOT numbers. He performed a full inspection of my rig. It passed. I have several questions. Occasionally
I tow a 7k trailer also.
1) Where do I go for my DOT numbers? Highway patrol? I live in MO and work in KS
2) How much insurance do I need and what type? Currently I have personal insurance that covers up to 100k.
3) Do I need a CDL? I've never grossed over 13k
4) Does the trailer need its own number? I subcontract and the trailer I use is provided I don't own it.

You can get your DOT from the link above.

You dont need insurance for DOT but you do need business insurance if you are running a business. I have 2,000,000.00 in coverage and its around $650.00 a year.

No you dont need a CDL.

The trailer does not need its own # but if you get pulled over they are going to examine the trailer and if its not up to DOT code YOU will get the tickets, not the person it belongs to.

I live in Shawnee. I've been dealing with this crap for years. Piece of advice. Get in compliance. Stay in compliance. Its much easier.

Dont forget you also need to get a medical card. When you contact the DOT they will send you a packet on everything.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a set of ramps for now. I'm going to trade down to a smaller truck. If I decide not to go to a smaller truck I'll will get DOT compliant. We put the work trailers in storage.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat, I decided to leave my big truck/trailer in missouri, and use my 1/2 ton 6x12 single axle in kansas...it just wasn't worth it to go through all the crap that was required to be an "Intrastate" whatever....whatever... It's a revenue generator, no doubt!@
Old 06-16-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

but yet i can pull a big ass boat or camper grossly overloaded with a 150 and thats allright.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is why I plan on never going over10,000 lb truck trailer GVWR.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

So, what's the skinny on this? I stay in MO and drive the rig to KS during aeration season.

Looked around and searched google hard for details about weather I need DOT numbers, but there's no good answers. I pull a 5x10 single axle with a 3/4 ton truck. Been thinking about getting a 7x16 tandem axle trailer though. Be nice to know if I need numbers. Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, this thread got short.

I guess supplying accurate info is not what lawnsite is about?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

guess I can just tell you about regs and not myself. anybody have any questions. sorry my other posts were removed for advertising.