Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone use WiX flash site builder

I am building a new flash based we site using Wix. They just upgraded to HTML5 and are still working on the transition as I am building.

Anyone have any tips for WiX?

I am concerned about SEO but most of my traffic will be coming from YouTube and AdWords along with direct entries from offline ads. Search volume for remote mowers are still very low right now anyways but any SEO tips for flash would be much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, according to one thing I read from someone using it, if you get a template that the primary URL (anything before a #) doesn't change, they are banking on google now being able to do ajax calls to load up your site content. However, that is google, there are a few other major engines. Plus from what I saw, I wasn't impressed at the end URL google indexed it as. Time will tell though if this plan will work, and who knows when google may decide to change how it handles it.

My suggestion, try for a template where every page is a unique URL for better SEO, make sure you properly set the Title Tag, Meta values, and make sure you have one single H1 tag that (like your title) gives a good concise (yet keyword based) description of what is on the current page (ie, don't use an H1 to list the name of your company on every page). See http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=368928 for more info on that.

-Greg
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post

My suggestion, try for a template where every page is a unique URL for better SEO,

-Greg
Any suggestions on how to make each page have its own URL...each one is just my main URL.

I am also looking through the WiX help forums and no help yet
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwright238 View Post
each one is just my main URL.(
So you're building a Flash-based site now and then will evolve to HTML5 when Wix gets there?

I have to ask why you're going the Flash route, especially as a DIY, when you acknowledge the very legitimate concerns re: SEO?

-
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
So you're building a Flash-based site now and then will evolve to HTML5 when Wix gets there?

I have to ask why you're going the Flash route, especially as a DIY, when you acknowledge the very legitimate concerns re: SEO?

-
SEO is not manditory but if you know tips to optimize with WiX, I want to know. WiX is "there" with HTML5 just not 100%. For instance, I can't make drop down menus in the header yet.

WHY? The biggest reason is appearance. THe site is jaw dropping bad to the bone imho. my Yola site is too plain jane cookie cutter
Old 06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to make each page have its own URL...each one is just my main URL.
Nope, sorry, haven't actually looked though their builder, but I'm pretty sure I have come across one site that used Wix that did actually have separate pages. (Who knows, that just may have been a really old version of a template)

Myself I hand code everything for my clients and host them on my own servers. (well except for two clients who are still already paid for somewhere else). Someday I might have to actually go put a site there to see what they really have to offer, but for now I'm busy building other projects, one of which is my own CMS for clients.

-Greg
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
SEO is not manditory but if you know tips to optimize with WiX, I want to know. WiX is "there" with HTML5 just not 100%. For instance, I can't make drop down menus in the header yet.

WHY? The biggest reason is appearance. THe site is jaw dropping bad to the bone imho. my Yola site is too plain jane cookie cutter
With a Wix site, as with any other site builder/generator site, you're largely on your own to implement any useful SEO, which is why they only accomplish 20% of what most customers think they're getting out of their dollars. Since you seem set on going this route, I would probably just build it as you see fit and then see what code you can actually change, along the lines of what Greg pointed out. Short of that, there really is nothing else to do.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ever looked at squarespace.com? I am planning on migrating there this winter. The templates are beautiful and as SEO sound as a template can be. Mobile site included too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I like squarespace much better than Wix. I've played around with it for just "wire framing" up a site before but as Tony points out the SEO will be really bad. The main reason you'd use it would just to be if someone happened to see your URL on something and want to see if you passed the "smell test" by looking at your site.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you use squarespace.com, you can use a coupon code WEBTOOLTESTER and receive 10% off. You save about $43 off the unlimited.
Toro 52" Proline
John Deere LT155
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Echo Edger
Echo Trimmer
and American Muscle

Tags
flash wix , remote control mowers , web site