Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I used a tank sprayer with a nozzle like that to apply the oxy-clean to the roof. No ladders, no walking on the roof. Just spray the whole roof until everything was white and foamy, and let it soak in.

It's been a few weeks, and about half the moss has rolled off in this last rain. It is getting better every day.

But that was just 5 gallons of water to cover the whole roof of my 2 car garage.
I'd be wary about using even that sort of sprayer on a hose end. It may not be a pressure washer, but it will still remove more granules and shorten the roof's lifetime.

Sure, if that's what the customer insists on, and they need it looking clean and new now, what can you do? But they need to understand that anything more powerful than rain will cause deterioration (ok, not as much as the moss does itself, but it is still not a good thing).
I have done it many times on the end of a garden hose. House pressure 50 - 65 psi isn't as hard as a good thunderstorm.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettT View Post
I have done it many times on the end of a garden hose. House pressure 50 - 65 psi isn't as hard as a good thunderstorm.
You're probably right, and that sounds like a perfectly reasonable argument to me, I just chose not to take that chance, and heck, I'll admit that being lazy was a good selling point to the method I chose. As they say, hard work may pay off eventually, but procrastination always pays off now.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reassurance Property View Post
I have a client who has some moss growing on his roof. He has zinc strips up already. It is an asphalt shingled roof. What is the best way to get rid of this and keep it away? (any type of spray) It is a fairly steep pitch as well. Thanks in advance.

I have a customer who I've been working for for like 10 years, and then I didnt hear from him last year at all. Then he calls me in late February during a rare warm spell(60 F), and asks me to come and look at his gutters. Turns out his wife died of cancer last year at 55 years old.

When I get there on the roof, the real problem was all the moss! It had gotten so bad that it was covering a total of about 25-30% of the entire roof, and I mean it was thick! It wasnt just a little 2-4mm thick green covering on the roof, it was 2" thick in many areas! It was as bad as you'd see it in the forest on the ground. The back top roof was the worst, which cant be seen from the ground.

So I brought a pressure washer over and first sprayed it with bleach, then let that sit, then pressure washed ALL the moss off the roof, washing every inch of the shingles to remove the tiny, new moss that was starting to grow elsewhere in little 2-4mm wide spots.

When I got done, the gutters were completely overflowing with moss, and there were piles of it on the ground that I'd thrown over! Then I cleaned it all up and tossed it into the forest.

But from now on, I'll spray it occasionally with Oxy Clean or whatever to keep it down.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn-ca...e-killer/sizes