Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this link yet.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/tree_da...ne_year_later/

Interesting. I have had 3 friends in our area that had imprelis damage receive their settlement offers, but have not received mine yet. Keep waiting and waiting and ........well you get the picture.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailter View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this link yet.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/tree_da...ne_year_later/

Interesting. I have had 3 friends in our area that had imprelis damage receive their settlement offers, but have not received mine yet. Keep waiting and waiting and ........well you get the picture.
Excellent link and one that I have not seen yet. Thank you. The statement at the end of it saying that the chemist has reported that Imprelis is dissipating slower in plant tissue than in the soil is of concern to me since I have more damage this year on trees I had hoped would not be affected and unfortunately if the only way to help the rest of the tree is to prune it, then it will be funny looking. It's a columnar so the shape is hard to get again. Probably will have to remove it too. Ruins the look of a landscape bed that seemed fine last year. At least I know what to expect. Another concern now is the fact the Imprelis that has leached underneath my drive will degrade at a much slower pace since sunlight can't penetrate like it can through lawns. I have 5 landscape beds adjacent to the concrete including 2 rows of trees (1 row is totally dead the other is now showing same signs as I saw last spring).
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.southernminn.com/faribaul...8af9097b6.html
Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure that I've read this one yet, so many.

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=159376255
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

New York Times Article published today

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...s/#postComment
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, cincygirl! I saw that this morning and hadn't gotten around to sending out. I wish the article would have hit the second page like it did last year.....but hope it has impact on DuPont.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincygirl View Post
This is the first report I've seen that places a number on how many claims DuPont has in their resolution process.
DuPont Facing 30,000 Claims for Tree Deaths -NY Times
This number does not include the thousands that have retained attorneys.

Excerpts:

...Tim Drummond of Arborscape Lawn and Tree Care in Dorr, Mich., who reported that 92 of his clients suffered damages.
... Mr. Drummond said that DuPont had been less responsive to larger claims and had made some mistakes, like writing checks in the wrong amount and then failing to respond to complaints. “Their strategy is to keep us in the dark,” he said. “It’s like writing a letter to Santa.”

While people with 40-foot dead trees are being compensated, realistically landscapers can only plant replacement trees that are 12 to 16 feet high, so people with very tall old trees are out of luck.

Then there is the question of how long Imprelis, the trade name for a chemical called aminocycopyrachlor, will stay in the soil and whether it could affect new trees.

Some experts suspect that the problem is not over. “There may be damage that has yet to be discovered,” said Bert Cregg, an associate professor of tree physiology at Michigan State University. “Some trees look worse this year.”
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Imprelis Damage in Ohio

Our neighbors just received their resolution package yesterday. They were only offered a small amount for 6 Arborvitaes (that was including removal, soil removal, new trees etc.) (I won't share public their $ amount, since it's not mine to share) and their claim did not include 2 beautiful Maple trees they planted about 4 years ago because at the time the claim was submitted last year no one was aware that it will kill these trees also. We looked at the Maples last night and showed them the signs of Imprelis damage to the trees. It's heartbreaking to see that people unaware of what damage they have and what is yet to come, something I hope will catch like wild-fire in the media and others will realize what is happening to their trees and possibly move Dupont along at a much faster pace. Still no word on our 60+ trees dead and dying from Dupont...sign of hope maybe ours is around the corner from delivery now that our neighbor has theirs?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Treelover, is the majority of your landscape ruined? 60 trees is a huge amount. Have you calculated how many square feet of your yard had Imprelis used on it? That's a lot of soil and sod to replace in order to get fresh soil in so you can replant in the future, not to speak of all the trees and plants. I'm sure it's painful to see that everyday. So far, I only have one side of my property effected and it's heartbreaking to just see that everyday.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More videos are getting posted to youtube by alleged victims of DuPont's Imprelis damage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSk1C0V9W-g

One starts with some of DuPont's PR statements about their cores values, yet when it comes time to pay for damages properly and sufficiently to many of us in order to make our properties right and whole, DuPont fights, fights, fights and even seeks to pay some of our compensation out to third parties they've contracted with.

DuPont's "Core Values" that they seem to have fallen short of:
"For more than 200 years, DuPont core values have been the cornerstone of who we are and what we stand for.

Even as our company and the world have grown and evolved, we have never changed the commitment we share to our core values. They are:

Safety and Health

We adhere to the highest standards to ensure the safety and health of our employees, our customers and the people of the communities in which we operate.

Environmental Stewardship

We protect the environment and strengthen our businesses by making environmental issues an integral part of all business activities. We continuously strive to align our actions with public expectations.

Highest Ethical Behavior

We conduct our business affairs to the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws. We work diligently to be a respected corporate citizen worldwide.

Respect for People
We foster an environment in which every employee is treated with respect and dignity, and is recognized for his or her contributions to our business."

Yea, right.