Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Wait never mind! I figured out the MOD means Mulch on Demand. Yes it is a MOD Deck. But it does side discharge as well. I just don't want to blow clippings on my flowers.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Did the JD you looked at have an actual chute blocker on it, or was it the MOD deck?
I am also not sure, It said 7 Iron on it. I saw it as a chute blocker under the discharge flap. The unit was actually at the JDL location and they really did not know much about it.

JD has dealerships for their mowers and JDL is different but I suppose they worked out a deal for display leads and likely an lead exchange/compensation.

I have never looked the JD too close but it looks nice and study. Did not demo it.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The MOD would likely be a better option than the blocker I did not see any indication and when I inquired the JDL guys gave me the dealers card to call and ask question. I am not buying yet but would consider this mow as a top choice based on dealerships and reviews i have heard here.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The MOD would likely be a better option than the blocker I did not see any indication and when I inquired the JDL guys gave me the dealers card to call and ask question. I am not buying yet but would consider this mow as a top choice based on dealerships and reviews i have heard here.
They are very well made machines. I was just curious if it was a chute blocker, and which brand it might have been. I was close to buying a std Pro deck and getting a chute blocker, but ended up buying the Pro deck with the MOD system. It is quite a bit different than just a chute blocker. You can get on Deere's site and go the the 900 series to see an underside view of the entire thing and how it works. They have a little lever icon you move to open and close the MOD. Kinda neat to watch. Scroll down to the picture of the mower, and under it you'll see a long black box with a bunch of dots in it. Click on the second one from the left-

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...00_series.page
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They are very well made machines. I was just curious if it was a chute blocker, and which brand it might have been. I was close to buying a std Pro deck and getting a chute blocker, but ended up buying the Pro deck with the MOD system. It is quite a bit different than just a chute blocker. You can get on Deere's site and go the the 900 series to see an underside view of the entire thing and how it works. They have a little lever icon you move to open and close the MOD. Kinda neat to watch. Scroll down to the picture of the mower, and under it you'll see a long black box with a bunch of dots in it. Click on the second one from the left-

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...00_series.page

I think the one I saw was just the discharge blocker because I did not see the yellow level on the main control to open and close the chute.

This is a very important feature.

On my 2006 DC, it has the chute blocker and the mulching blades.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The yellow handle is for units with collection - meh.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I think the one I saw was just the discharge blocker because I did not see the yellow level on the main control to open and close the chute.

This is a very important feature.

On my 2006 DC, it has the chute blocker and the mulching blades.
The lever is black, and if you aren't really looking for it, it is easy to overlook. The discharge chute is shaped differently on the MOD deck too.
Here is a righthand side view of mine. You can see the lever sticking up above the chute. In the view from the front you might be able to see the little decal on the face of the step I was talking about-
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Well I can't speak for any except the kubota and the super z. I just bought a new 37 hp 60" super z and it cut much better than my old kubota. My kubota had the older formed deck not the new pro deck. I can't see much difference in the two but to me the new kubotas didn't cut well enough to buy another one. Now the diesel kubotas are built really well and will last forever if taken care of, but there is much more productivity with the super z. As for striping it depends more on the conditions and grass type, my kubota with a kit stripes a little better than the hustler without a kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
So just how much more does this thing mow,if you really want to get it done alot quicker look at a 72.

My 72 Super in regular grass down here where I am if conditions are right ( which they are right alot )will cut probably 2 to 1 over my old JD and TT 60's. It just away quick

Last edited by Realslowww; 06-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The lever is black, and if you aren't really looking for it, it is easy to overlook. The discharge chute is shaped differently on the MOD deck too.
Here is a righthand side view of mine. You can see the lever sticking up above the chute. In the view from the front you might be able to see the little decal on the face of the step I was talking about-
I saw it, just got confused on the website with an addtional yellow level on the collection unit where you could moderate the mulch vs collection.

I would say in the JDL location I saw the Mod and they did not know what it was / is and I assume it was a chute block.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys, the Z970A does not come with the Mulch on the Demand. So, oh well. I need the 37 HP. So I will just get Chutemaster or something like it.

Tags
exmark lazer z , john deere , scag , striping , z trak