Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not when the valve box is bottomless and all of the weight will be concentrated around the perimeter of this box. It would also be advisable to place a double layer of geotextile underlayment both directly under the liner and between the liner and the valve box. With a one piece basin, such as that earlier recommended, the weight is distributed over a large area, so the resulting psi is manageable. With what you are proposing the weight will be concentrated into an area that is actually smaller than the base of the water feature. Asking for problems.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

10-4 4" solid cynder blocks as a base will be cheap insurance. Good idea on the fabric
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
10-4 4" solid cynder blocks as a base will be cheap insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe. If you can assure their stability. A one piece slab would be my choice.
I am also curious as to how you plan to access the pump when it needs cleaning or replacing without moving the water feature AND how you are allowing for sufficient water flow to the pump intake. This may require drilling holes in this valve box which will weaken its weight bearing capabilities.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Geezus. You are an anal sob. I would bet $20,000 it wouldnt settle w cylinder blocks. And i dont think it would settle on virgin soil, but blocks are cheap. Pouring a pad is extremely inneficient and borderline ridiculous. Almost laughable really. Turning a one day job into two days, and increasing the cost to the client for a nonexistent issue. It is a 200lb water feature not a 2000 lb water feature.

You would access it the same way you would with a vault or a basin. I dont think they have a trap door. At least the last $250 vault i wasted my money on did not. It had a top with a hole in it.

I would cut small slits like a well screen, which would not weaken the structure much at all because you are not cutting the inner support structure. Plus the box is already rated for more than 200lbs and if you have ever seen carson valve boxes, they extremely heavy duty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious why you don't have many pictures of waterfalls on the internet? Do you mostly do pond maintenance? Do you have any employees?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If doing things the right way the first time is being anal then the description fits me like a glove.
If you doubt my credentials, then you have not looked hard enough.
Water feature basins DO have access doors, some more than one (Obviously you have not taken any time to research this).
If you want to cobble something together that may not have the structural or functional integrity that it could have, that is your business and the customer's future headaches. It is apparent that you posted the original question on this forum with a closed mind. Sorry that you don't like the answers you got.
Stick to Landscaping and mowing grass.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
If doing things the right way the first time is being anal then the description fits me like a glove.
If you doubt my credentials, then you have not looked hard enough.
Water feature basins DO have access doors, some more than one (Obviously you have not taken any time to research this).
If you want to cobble something together that may not have the structural or functional integrity that it could have, that is your business and the customer's future headaches. It is apparent that you posted the original question on this forum with a closed mind. Sorry that you don't like the answers you got.
Well there is doing things the right way and then there is pricing your self out of a job because of stupidity and lack of common sense and business sense. If you seriously think this waterfall will fail you have lost your goddamn mind... seriously. I have run this idea across other pond professionals with actual job photos and they approve. And judging on your posts and photos, I am not sure you have the experience doing pondless water fountains to demean and degrade my plan. Maybe you do, but for a "premier pond company" you sure don't have a great a website with many photos at all. In fact, you don't have a photo gallery and you have 3 photos on your facebook page.

I did not see a trap door on the easy pro that you recommended. The pond supply house in town does not have trap doors on their vaults.

Actually in the original question, I was asking "what do you use instead of pond vaults."

This is one reason lawnsite sucks, why can't you be helpful and informative like Jim Lewis? Your post while I will admit are helpful and insightful at times are demeaning.

So you must not have any employees? So you really have no concept of running a full time landscape crew of multiple employees? Why don't you post any pics of your work? Scared someone might give you the same scrutiny you give others? Why on the waterfall on your webpage and on your website is there a pic of a waterfall you did with a blaring piece of liner staring at us? I mean right in the middle of the photo!! Do you really want that on your website and facebook? do you really want pics of your cat on facebook? I mean come on dude, you have "solo operator that doesn't play well with others" written all over you. I am not saying your not good at what you do... I am just saying you come off as a prick.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Just admit it, you have been itching to say this to me the whole thread.

Yep no photos, you live in a $73k house, and your not on angies list. Sounds like the pinnacle of success!!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Again, poor research. I am on Angie's List.

Ask yourself: Why have you gotten so few individuals to respond to your question? The answer: You don't want to listen. I actually thought that I could get you to see the light, but I was completely wrong. Now I am out of patience, so do what you will.

Last edited by tadpole; 06-23-2012 at 05:20 PM.