Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Husqvarna or Gravely zero turn?

I am looking at buying my first zt mower to mow around my home and barn, I will be mowing about 2 acres of bahia grass with the zt mower the rest I will be mowing with my tractor and bushhog mower. I have narrowed my choices down to the Gravely ZT XL 54" and the Husqvarna MZ 5225ZT both of which seem to be mid grade type of mowers meaning not commercial but not big box store specials either, I have heard that Husqvarna parts are higher and that Gravely mowers have a different belt that is better than others etc etc, and I have no clue and since this is a fairly big purchase for me I want to try to get the best ZT mower I can for the money. With all that said I thought I would ask the guys who would know, thank you in advance for any information. Charlie.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't know if you could afford stepping up to the Gravely ZT HD or not, but I would chose it over the ZT XL or the Husqvarna.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRobinson View Post
I don't know if you could afford stepping up to the Gravely ZT HD or not, but I would chose it over the ZT XL or the Husqvarna.
The HD is about $750.00 more than the XL, I'm not very familiar at all about the benefits of one verses the other, if you wouldn't mind I would appreciate if you could tell me the benefit or what is better about the HD over the XL. Thank's Charlie.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Lamborghini or Smart Car?

Gravely is the Lamborghini in this case. LOL

But yeah, Gravely is a huge step up from Husqvarna, I think they are mediocre, Gravely's are built rugged and tough and powerful.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The mz is a good machine. It'd the dame as the pz frame. I know some guys that run them. I started out on an husqvarna ez. Lasted forever it seemed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply's both of the dealers seem to be good people to work with, I like the idea of buying American made and the way I understand it the Gravely is American made, I'm going first thing in the morning to make my decision so if anyone has anymore advice between now and then I would appreciate it. Thanks' Charlie.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
The HD is about $750.00 more than the XL, I'm not very familiar at all about the benefits of one verses the other, if you wouldn't mind I would appreciate if you could tell me the benefit or what is better about the HD over the XL. Thank's Charlie.

By all means double check, but I think the HD has a stronger more "commercial like" transmission, heavier reinforcement around the deck, larger wheels, and iron spindles. I think the XL has aluminum spindles.

I am not 100% sure on all this though...so again, double check.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Went to the Husqvarna dealer this morning and he didn't have one in stock so I headed on down to the Gravely dealer and looked at the ZT HD60, dealer said it had commercial drive system, heavier spindles etc, etc, and it just looked stouter and beefier than the XL so I bought it. Brought it home and it at least cut my mowing time in half, I'm impressed so far, I hope it continues to be a good unit, Thanks' for all the advice, especially about upgrading up to the HD.