Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Z Master Switch Issue HELP!!

I have a Toro Z 253 62" mower. Never had any issue until just now. The thing started shutting off on me UNLESS I applied the emergency brake. Even with the control levers out, I can't run the machine unless the brake is applied . I even tried to rig to finish mowing and taped the button down but then the control lever safety kicks in..... and my mower shuts off. What the heck, any help would be much appreciated! I am dead in the water and a mchine in the field.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seat switch faulty?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I eliminated the seat switch when I bought it with a jumper and I did check it, thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: Jackson, Ga (Butts County).......Yes, I am serious!!!!!!!
How old is the battery........

You may not believe this cause I didn't when it happened, but here is what went down.

I had an Exmark and the battery was fine. One day I got to job.....cranked up (It was a little slow but I thought the battery would charge as it ran). Well took the brake off, pulled off the trailer, engaged blades and it died. Wouldn't crank back up. Had a jump box, so jumped it off only this time it would die whenever I let the brake off. Had to drive it back on the trailer w/ the jump box hooked up to the battery just to have enough juice to drive it. It took some serious redneck ingenuity and creative driving w/ the box hooked up and the seat flipped up trying to get the mower back on the trailer. Turned out a new battery fixed the problem. Guess it was just too weak to run the mower when all the safety switches kick in. Anyway, that's my story and it sounds a lot like what your Toro is doing. But mine wouldn't crank back up w/o jumping......
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a spare battery, I will try that tonight. I also ordered an ignition with keys for 12 bucks. It seems to cut in and out when I wiggle the keys, although that stupid parking brake still cuts out.........more to come, thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

SO, I bought a new ignitio switch and put a new battery in this thing and STILL, when I release the emergency brake the thing shuts off, how wierd. I guess maybe the control lever switches? or some kind of relay?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Did you ever fix it? I'm in the SAME BOAT!

I know this is an old post but I am in the same boat with the same machine. Tried jumpering everything I can think of and I can now get it to move with brake off, but it still shuts off if I engage the blades. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!