Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Have My Summer Lawn Woes Ended

I have posted on this site in the past about what seemed like a yearly battle against fungus and heat stress in my TTTF lawn in the Kansas City area. Sometime several years back a friend's brother who went to the Kansas State University school of Agriculture for turf management told me he recommends not fertilizing much in the summer months due to some of the more common fungi in the Midwest (brownpatch and dollar spot tend to thrive on nitrogen). Now, before I continue, I will say I could have completely misunderstood his advice. With that said, for at least the last couple summers I have not put down any fertilizer between about mid to late April and overseeing in late Sept. to mid October.

We do have a sprinkler system we use regularly (now I am finding out I have probably been watering more than I need to).
With what would appear to be a lack of moisture, I would always increase my zone times and my days to water (up to 40 minutes a zone, everyday, and sometimes an afternoon watering mixed in with the usual morning watering). Also, in the past it has not been unusual for my lawn to suffer horrendous areas of brownpatch. Late last summer I started purchasing Heritage G for the fungus and while at 3-4 week intervals it did improve the fungus situation, the overall appearance of the lawn was pretty lousy.

This year I have not seen any signs of fungus yet (we've had a fairly mild spring/summer so far but it appears the heat is starting to set in). So far this year I have put down HerG on May 4 and May 26, but I haven't really seen the signs of fungus around town yet, but keep in mind I am not an expert. Still, with lots of watering my lawn just looked like it was suffering. The last time I gave the lawn any food was Weed n Feed on April 20 at half rate. I have been terrified of fungus coming in and gobbling up the nitrogen...and my grass. So, thinking my sprinkler heads needed looking at I decided to call a local company to check the system. While the dude did tweak things a little, we got on the conversation of fertilization. I told him my way (or at least what I thought my friend's brother told me)of thinking. He said he'd be even more worried of fungus attacking an unhealthy lawn. That was on June 15. On June 16 I put down Loveland's Supreme product that is a fertilizer with Iron and some other good stuff for the hell of it. I am probably going to jinx myself, but I can never remember my lawn looking as good as it does a week later and at the end of June. Also, my watering schedule has been about halved.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by TigerJon73; 06-25-2012 at 02:12 PM.