Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJohnns View Post
That suspension is really something but that price for advertising is a bit too much as I see it.
So what's a fair price for the suspension kit, installed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Regarding suspension seats, this is another item I researched the heck out of because my ground is rough and I was getting pounded.

From what I can determine, there are two basic styles that are commonly purchased. One is a platform that is mounted under the original seat. That is probably what you will get for a couple hundred from a dealer. Probably better than nothing. The more effective seat is the Michigan v-5300 suspension seat http://reviews.northerntool.com/0394...ws/reviews.htm, usually bought from Northern Tool. It seems to be the exact same seat that my Gravely dealer quoted me about $500-600 for a while back that was on a Gravely 200 series I rode. I've ridden on a Gravely 200 model and that seat is the same Michigan V-5300 that I ended up buying for $320 + sh. with weight adjustment and all. Bolt pattern is standard 11 x 11-1/4. Don't confuse those with whatever is on Gravely's new 400 series which has some of a magic carpet ride according to 400 reviews here. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000 Conjecture is that it is a Grammer seat retailing for around $1000 aftermarket.

Take a look at this thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...uspension+seat Both types are discussed. There are other threads on this forum and others.

Just be sure you're getting what you think you are and the best for your needs and budget. Manufacturers use seats made mostly by Michigan or Grammer that are available after market for the most part.

FWIW, I got the V-5300 a couple of weeks ago and am very satisfied with it. Seems to be the best bang/buck seat. That seat on Gravely's 400 series seems like a dream, though. I'd like to know for sure if it is available after market for a reasonable price.

Last edited by sprinter; 06-16-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Bobcat 52" Fastcat Pro is one to take a peek at, lot of mower for the money. THe BadBoy ZT60 is another. I would keep an eye on CL, never know what you will find used. I would also check all the dealers around you and see if they have something that has been sitting around.

There is another brand of mowers called BigDog mowers, they are a branch of Hustler. Not to familiar with them, but they have an R series that would be a machine worth looking into, that is if you have a dealer close to you aswell in your price range. From the website, the brand appears to be growing.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Another make to look at is Land Pride. I'm told they are basically Hustler's under the skin, but I don't really know. You don't hear much about them on this forum for some reason but they may be worth looking into, especially if you like the Hustlers other than their price. I thought the Hustlers were fine, but about $600 more than any other similar competitors for apples and apples. Couldn't justify the cost and didn't much like the dealer anyway.

Maybe someone else here knows more about Land Pride ZTR's. They have a wide model range. http://www.landpride.com/products/40/zero-turn-mowers
Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Another make to look at is Land Pride. I'm told they are basically Hustler's under the skin, but I don't really know. You don't hear much about them on this forum for some reason but they may be worth looking into, especially if you like the Hustlers other than their price. I thought the Hustlers were fine, but about $600 more than any other similar competitors for apples and apples. Couldn't justify the cost and didn't much like the dealer anyway.

Maybe someone else here knows more about Land Pride ZTR's. They have a wide model range. http://www.landpride.com/products/40/zero-turn-mowers
I looked at LandPride at one dealership. There is an enormous price jump from their low end ZST line, which is already expensive for what you get (4-4.7k), and their Razor Z Line (approx. 5.5k). And to get a Land Pride with similar features to the competition (Hustler Fastrak, Bad Boy ZT, Gravely HD, etc.), you would have to get their ZSR Razor, which puts you in the 6's. The SCAGs (Freedom Z) in the same dealership were more competitively priced.

The Land Pride machines look really nice (cool color!), but I don't think they look much like the Hustlers. The Land Prides have some steel supports in their frame, whereas most of the other brands have rectangular shapes. I have no clue what difference that makes, if any, but it looks kind of neat.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Yawn View Post
The Land Pride machines look really nice (cool color!), but I don't think they look much like the Hustlers. The Land Prides have some steel supports in their frame, whereas most of the other brands have rectangular shapes. I have no clue what difference that makes, if any, but it looks kind of neat.
I meant to say that the Land Prides have ROUND steel supports. All of the above mentioned brands have steel frames. But Land Pride has round supports. Again, no clue what that means...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Lawn Yawn; 06-17-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Yawn View Post
I looked at LandPride at one dealership. There is an enormous price jump from their low end ZST line, which is already expensive for what you get (4-4.7k), and their Razor Z Line (approx. 5.5k). And to get a Land Pride with similar features to the competition (Hustler Fastrak, Bad Boy ZT, Gravely HD, etc.), you would have to get their ZSR Razor, which puts you in the 6's. The SCAGs (Freedom Z) in the same dealership were more competitively priced.

Good to know. I was only going by other comments I've heard.

Have fun in Boring. Sorry, I know you get lots of such stupid boring comments. I've only actually seen Boring from the air when I was flying out of Troutdale and used it as a landmark for base leg, Hope it didn't bother anybody... Nice area.

Last edited by sprinter; 06-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Bought a Gravely ZT 54 XL on Saturday. Starts with almost no effort with barely half choke. The owner sent his guy 2 hours away to get it to me that day with no notice. I think I found a great dealer! Thomaston Power in Thomaston Connecticut. Only put 2 hours on it so far. I tried beating down the field some. It was probably over 2 feet tall. It didn't love it. Had to go over it a couple times to make it look alright. Mint job on the stuff that was only 8-10" tall. My wife took it for a spin and had a blast. She says she wants to do some of the mowing!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
Bought a Gravely ZT 54 XL on Saturday. Starts with almost no effort with barely half choke. The owner sent his guy 2 hours away to get it to me that day with no notice. I think I found a great dealer! Thomaston Power in Thomaston Connecticut. Only put 2 hours on it so far. I tried beating down the field some. It was probably over 2 feet tall. It didn't love it. Had to go over it a couple times to make it look alright. Mint job on the stuff that was only 8-10" tall. My wife took it for a spin and had a blast. She says she wants to do some of the mowing!
Congrats on the new Gravely. Glad to hear you found a machine you are happy with. If you would care to share some photos and some info on your purchase in the homeowner picture page, it would be appreciated. Helps the next guy down the line looking at your model. I should bump that thread up anyway, seems like allot of new toys this month. Happy mowing

Link
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...r+picture+page
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Congrats on the new Gravely. Glad to hear you found a machine you are happy with. If you would care to share some photos and some info on your purchase in the homeowner picture page, it would be appreciated. Helps the next guy down the line looking at your model. I should bump that thread up anyway, seems like allot of new toys this month. Happy mowing

Link
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...r+picture+page
Will do. Have to take a pic still.