Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Perhaps with your grass you do not have a 1/3 rule issue mowing weekly but I assure you removing more than 1/3 will damage the turf when done consistantly.
well on my weeklys I'm sure I don't. but explain to me how my bi weeklys stay healthy.

those get cut half an inch shorter than weeklys and I'm sure in the spring I'm taking way more than a third off.

not trying to argue, just wanting to have an educational convo about the 1/3 rule.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well on my weeklys I'm sure I don't. but explain to me how my bi weeklys stay healthy.

those get cut half an inch shorter than weeklys and I'm sure in the spring I'm taking way more than a third off.

not trying to argue, just wanting to have an educational convo about the 1/3 rule.
The basics as I understand it, the Turf can deal with a loss of 1/3 or less without any type of stress. When you cut more than 1/3 of the blade they plant then uses energy to regain that leaf. It needs the leaf for photosyntisis and to create energy stores in the root system.

So when you cut more than 1/3 of the blade the turf expends more energy than it has available so the root development is stunted.

It could be that scapling the grass every 2 weeks is not as bad because it can recover in a few days then have 10 to rebuild the energy store in the roots.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
My reply still stands. If the turf is under stress from drought, wait to mow it. You will do far more harm mowing it if it is too dry than mowing it too wet. Or wet. Or damp.

If it is too dry, you will further dry the turf out, requiring even more water to allow the turf to recover.

And unless it's mowing for a couple days, you aren't really cutting the "new growth" off. Or it takes you a couple days to mow your lawn.

Sure, cuz we're in the homeowner forum?

So the question remains, what damage will mowing wet grass cause? It may not be preferred, but it doesn't cause damage.
Biggest damage from real wet grass would be rutting! About two years ago the LCO's came to cut my neighbors house and their yard was a swamp! Very thick sod and they water to no end, on top of torrential rains we had a couple of years ago. I just laughed and said no way are they going to cut that yard and sure enough they cut it. When they were done, it looked like the tractor pulls came to town. Needless to say, they don't have the property anymore.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The basics as I understand it, the Turf can deal with a loss of 1/3 or less without any type of stress. When you cut more than 1/3 of the blade they plant then uses energy to regain that leaf. It needs the leaf for photosyntisis and to create energy stores in the root system.

So when you cut more than 1/3 of the blade the turf expends more energy than it has available so the root development is stunted.

It could be that scapling the grass every 2 weeks is not as bad because it can recover in a few days then have 10 to rebuild the energy store in the roots.
i wouldn't say i scalp the grass. i just cut it half an inch shorter than my weeklys, unless i highly think you need weekly service. then i cut as high s i can so you will complain to me about how your grass doesn't hold that cut look that long, so then i will reply with, well it really needs to be cut weekly.

during normal growth and normal rain fall weeklys are cut at 3 inches and bi weeklys at 2.5 inches. when growth is slower or there is a lack of rain like a drought, then weeklys are bumped up to 3.5 inches and bi weeklys 3 inches.