Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Cant start my ECHO Hedge Trimmer

I have an ECHO Hedge Trimmer HC1600 Type 1E…
Great little trimmer until recently I couldn’t start it. I disassembled the top and bottom of the carburetor and cleaned out some debris after removing the black diaphragms. After carefully re-assembling it and putting gas in the trimmer, I noticed that after repeatedly depressing the fuel plunger, I couldn’t see gas coming up into the bulb, and it wouldn't start. Will replacing the black diaphragms with a rebuild kit solve the problem? I also replaced the leaky rubber plug on the side of the fuel tank where the two fuel line enter the tank. One is straight fuel line, the other is a choke line which fills the fuel bulb.
Jerry
Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is probably a dumb question, but did you check the priming bulb for any cracks? Also, how is the air filter? Is it clean and dry?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes the bulb looks good no visible cracks but I guess I could remove it again and by sealing the bottom and pressing on it...see if it holds air...I did remove the air filter and brushed it clean with a fine paint brush...it wasn't anywhere near clogged though...
jerry
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem on a weed eater. I took it all apart and than couldnt get gas back into the primer. I ended up taking out the fuel filter and than blowing air into it to press out all the gas in it. I think after that it worked. Also you could just get some starter fluid and spray into the intake side and it should suck gas up into the carb when you try starting it.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are gas lines connected correctly? You didn't mention needle adjustments there are two needles to adjust correct? The one closest to cyclinder is for starting and should be open 3 half turns CCW.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Are gas lines connected correctly?
Good question.
Take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCC1q...feature=relmfu
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

My ECHO Trimmer is running...

Thanks to all you that replied to my query…I finally succeeded in getting the trimmer to fire up and stay lit. Your help was great and that video dboyd351 that you put me on to really cleared up which line was the intake and which the discharge…and ed2hess thanks for the tips on the needle valves, although they looked like they were sort of locked in position (probably from the factory), I’m putting that in my trimmer manual…Embarrassed to say, but what I did in cleaning the small amount of crude that was accumulated under the diaphragm I mistakenly installed the diaphragm on the wrong side of the thick black plate under the priming bulb assembly. Mxrider, you had a good suggestion about the filter, but next time I’m in town I’m going to pick up a new one and an air filter as well….
Great forum and thanks again for the help…
Jerry S