Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool, I'll make one!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
sorry that was supposed to be a 25 lb bucket. Local Lesco dealer..

I don't think Massey will be able to help you.. you know they charge $60 plus for an average 2500 sq yard per app so guess what your 21K sq is gonna cost.
Yup, sunsport in the pail. I didn't have a lot of success with it. Used their 50lb common hulled Bermuda for almost the same price and had better success. If someones looking for hybrid quality there is really expensive seed for that type of job but for an improvement over Bahia and a decent lawn the common is fine.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are really complicating a simple Bermuda rehab. Common Bermuda doesn't need a reel mower to get a good cut. Many golf courses including the one that makes up part of my backyard are using rotary ZTR's on the fairways which are common Bermuda. A 12 field soccer complex near here is all common Bermuda mowed at 2" with Toro ZTR's. Hybrids are a different animal and should be reeled to 1/2" on the tee's and greens. I don't think its possible to ONLY get 30% germination. Not everybody loves SA and can afford half an acre that the kids will trample into garbage in a month. Bermuda is easy to repair, SA means more money for sod patch. Nuke it, verticut it, rake it and seed. In a week you will have grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You guys are really complicating a simple Bermuda rehab. Common Bermuda doesn't need a reel mower to get a good cut. Many golf courses including the one that makes up part of my backyard are using rotary ZTR's on the fairways which are common Bermuda. A 12 field soccer complex near here is all common Bermuda mowed at 2" with Toro ZTR's. Hybrids are a different animal and should be reeled to 1/2" on the tee's and greens. I don't think its possible to ONLY get 30% germination. Not everybody loves SA and can afford half an acre that the kids will trample into garbage in a month. Bermuda is easy to repair, SA means more money for sod patch. Nuke it, verticut it, rake it and seed. In a week you will have grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be contrary, but bermuda mowed low is easier to keep in other ways. Florida and the continental US might be different. But bermuda mowed at less than an inch tends to remain as bermuda without a heavy herbicide program. Low mowing encourages turf density and discourages weeds that tend to grow upright.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To get that Bermuda to spread you will need to topdress and mow with a reel mower...if you choose to get the reel mower and use prior to topdressing you will need to have it sharpened several times per season at a minimum of about $80 a pop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Not to be contrary, but bermuda mowed low is easier to keep in other ways. Florida and the continental US might be different. But bermuda mowed at less than an inch tends to remain as bermuda without a heavy herbicide program. Low mowing encourages turf density and discourages weeds that tend to grow upright.
Won't disagree with that. Problem is your unlikely to have flat enough ground unless you put a lot of effort into topdressing and leveling. Even then with the weather we have now the ground is going to move all over the place. 2" is a good compromise to minimize scalping and offer some weed control benefit. Its also about as low as a rotary will perform.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Exactly
Dang fl-landscapes, I was wondering if you were still alive. Where you been? Also, what about ck from Orlando...did he go AWOL?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Me hates common Bermuda...it's fugly! I have some in the left side of my reel mowed property and I'm about to smoke it with non selective...it is trying to take over my hybrid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Won't disagree with that. Problem is your unlikely to have flat enough ground unless you put a lot of effort into topdressing and leveling. Even then with the weather we have now the ground is going to move all over the place. 2" is a good compromise to minimize scalping and offer some weed control benefit. Its also about as low as a rotary will perform.
Posted via Mobile Device
Many lawns here are not golf green flat. However, good mowing guys use a reel fitted with a front weighted roller and cut at 3/4". There is actually less scalping and gouging vs a rotary mower.

My prejudice against rotary mowers on bermuda stems from what happens to lawns and sports fields maintained with a rotary. It never fails that those areas get taken over by warm season weedy grasses. I have been involved in field trials sponsored by FMC and Bayer trying to clean up such areas. So far, the products used have been most effective when a program of low mowing is instituted. Low mowing not only keeps the lawn tight. It also is the nail in the coffin for weeds stunted by herbicide applications.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738