Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
135 a month for chem service plus your mowing service is going to add up quick. Unless you plan on banning the kids from the lawn ,recovery of the SA will be very long in coming. I am sticking to my proposal.
One other note on SA. It is not very frost tolerant. Several years ago we had a long, cold winter and many entire yards of SA died. Bermuda simply comes out of dormancy. Prior to that you can spray anything green (weed) in the dormant Bermuda with Roundup and start the season weed free with no damage to the Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device
I pretty much agree with all of this. I think the OP is in Boca though. Not going to have to worry about the cold as much as guys from central and north Florida. We barely had to worry about low temps this past winter and I am 45 min north of him. I still say go with the common Bermuda too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Dang fl-landscapes, I was wondering if you were still alive. Where you been? Also, what about ck from Orlando...did he go AWOL?
Posted via Mobile Device
All good here diamond, just been busy. Few months back there wasn't anything going on here besides pissing contests and I've been to busy to care to get involved with that nonsense. Hope your well.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
All good here diamond, just been busy. Few months back there wasn't anything going on here besides pissing contests and I've been to busy to care to get involved with that nonsense. Hope your well.
I figured you was busy, glad to hear. Yea, there's usually a couple of pissing contests lol...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMike View Post
Again I think Patriot has it right!
In my state, st augustine is not used except in shady lawns. Putting it in full sun in a hot climate just begs for problems. Bermuda is more easily managed in full sun.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

That's a great confirmation green doctor, I started nuking some areas 1/2 hour ago.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never understood trying to keep st augustine alive in sunny areas where bermuda is naturally encroaching. You are doing the right thing. Just remember that st augustine is not used on baseball, football or soccer fields, low cut bermuda is. I could not imagine banning your own kids from playing on the lawn permanently. No need to do that if the lawn is bermuda. It can take it.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MJLCARE doesn't have kids, animals or play sports.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Does that mixture tend to smoke Bermuda on the first application or are you still making multiple applications to ensure that it is smoked? I am familiar with RU and fusilade as I use them but what is the third chemcial and roughly what is its cost.
It will smoke the bermuda on the first application. It will also destroy any broadleaf weeds otherwise resistant to glyphosate. Turflon Ester is triclopyr, also sold as Garlon 4. Cost is about $100 a gallon. It does not carry the same stigma as 2.4-D, but it is extremely hard on all warm season grasses except for zoysia. Do not try to use this for selective weed control in bermuda, seashore paspalum or st augustine.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
It will smoke the bermuda on the first application. It will also destroy any broadleaf weeds otherwise resistant to glyphosate. Turflon Ester is triclopyr, also sold as Garlon 4. Cost is about $100 a gallon. It does not carry the same stigma as 2.4-D, but it is extremely hard on all warm season grasses except for zoysia. Do not try to use this for selective weed control in bermuda, seashore paspalum or st augustine.
I was thinking more for burn out of lawns were Bermuda is present and the new sod will be something other than Bermuda. If it knocks it out in one shot that is great to know. Too many times I have had the lawn sprayed with RU only to have to spray it several more times because the Bermuda pops back up in a week or two and I have to wait at least 2 weeks to ensure that the Bermuda is not coming back to give the client the best chances of the Bermuda will not be back soon. . Which again attest to how strong Bermuda can be.

I often asked why Bermuda was the grass of the south except here in Florida. It did not take long to figure out that Florida is also were the Green Industry is the largest. So we use St. Augustine which requires year round lawn care, keeps the lawn boy employed. It has lots of disease and pest issues which keeps the PCO employed, often these measures can fail which keeps sod layers and sod fields employed.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Last edited by Landscape Poet; 06-26-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I was thinking more for burn out of lawns were Bermuda is present and the new sod will be something other than Bermuda. If it knocks it out in one shot that is great to know. Too many times I have had the lawn sprayed with RU only to have to spray it several more times because the Bermuda pops back up in a week or two and I have to wait at least 2 weeks to ensure that the Bermuda is not coming back to give the client the best chances of the Bermuda will not be back soon. . Which again attest to how strong Bermuda can be.

I often asked why Bermuda was the grass of the south except here in Florida. It did not take long to figure out that Florida is also were the Green Industry is the largest. So we use St. Augustine which requires year round lawn care, keeps the lawn boy employed. It has lots of disease and pest issues which keeps the PCO employed, often these measures can fail which keeps sod layers and sod fields employed.
IMO, its bc it is cheaper to maintain than the hybrid varieties that need reel cutting and tons more work to keep looking good. Common Bermuda maintained at 2-2.5" with a rotary looks like crap IMO. St aug is the middle of the road that you can have look real good without the high costs of hybrid sports turf.
Posted via Mobile Device