Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
IMO, its bc it is cheaper to maintain than the hybrid varieties that need reel cutting and tons more work to keep looking good. Common Bermuda maintained at 2-2.5" with a rotary looks like crap IMO. St aug is the middle of the road that you can have look real good without the high costs of hybrid sports turf.
Posted via Mobile Device
Accurate points you make I would say but long term do you think SA will be around? Would Bermuda not be the better choice as watering restrictions become more and more as it is not talked about much recently but there will be a day when the restrictions will come more and more strict. Then other than Bahia - would Bermuda not be the best choice because it will go dormant when needed, green up with rain and it obviously recovers quicker than SA if at all from drought. Seashore maybe for the cost.? I don't know but I do know we put a lot of inputs into our lawns here, which is why the people from up north look at us like we are crazy when they figure out what their annual lawn care bill is going to be. I have a guy that just moved here from Michigan. He really struggled with why he was going to pay close to 6k a year for his lawn not including paying the water bill for SA that his HOA made him install when he wanted Bahia.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Accurate points you make I would say but long term do you think SA will be around? Would Bermuda not be the better choice as watering restrictions become more and more as it is not talked about much recently but there will be a day when the restrictions will come more and more strict. Then other than Bahia - would Bermuda not be the best choice because it will go dormant when needed, green up with rain and it obviously recovers quicker than SA if at all from drought. Seashore maybe for the cost.? I don't know but I do know we put a lot of inputs into our lawns here, which is why the people from up north look at us like we are crazy when they figure out what their annual lawn care bill is going to be. I have a guy that just moved here from Michigan. He really struggled with why he was going to pay close to 6k a year for his lawn not including paying the water bill for SA that his HOA made him install when he wanted Bahia.
For sure. When that day comes, Bermuda is the best choice. I think one of the biggest problems are the homeowners that won't take the pros advice. So many people want to water their lawn 3-4x/wk ON TOP of rainfall. We all know the end result. Quick story. I had one lady that I controlled the irrigation and she did the fert. She would only need 1-2 sprays for the year. Every winter clover would pop up in random spots. Never chinch bug, sod webworm, fungus, etc. I think this could be the norm if people didn't think they know it all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
For sure. When that day comes, Bermuda is the best choice. I think one of the biggest problems are the homeowners that won't take the pros advice. So many people want to water their lawn 3-4x/wk ON TOP of rainfall. We all know the end result. Quick story. I had one lady that I controlled the irrigation and she did the fert. She would only need 1-2 sprays for the year. Every winter clover would pop up in random spots. Never chinch bug, sod webworm, fungus, etc. I think this could be the norm if people didn't think they know it all.
Posted via Mobile Device
You get people who want to water 3-4x a week???? Dang.. I'm jealous..
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
Me too...I have mostly people who never water...rain is enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
I don't, bc I typically control the clock. I do have one that would water that much last yr and the lawn broke out in dollar weed. I told em to water less but they won't listen. The rest let me do my thing. A lot of people around here over water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Me too...I have mostly people who never water...rain is enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
My most common lawn killers are people that short cycle the irrigation system, not putting down a full inch of water in 7 days with 2 or less waterings. Yes, watering every day will kill a lawn even if it is not flooding it. Next are people that do not maintain an inch of water per 7 days cutting off the irrigation for a week or two just because of a 1/10" sprinkle.

I control the irrigation. Rain sensors are installed. Tampering with the settings I program into the controller are grounds for termination.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's the averag daily summer temps in Hawaii?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
What's the averag daily summer temps in Hawaii?
Posted via Mobile Device
High 80s to low 90s are what I see. Keep in mind that this is nothing like Florida or other parts of the continental US. I can expect less than an inch of rain from March to November while the temperatures are where they are at. The wind also blows constantly, adding to the evaporation.

Lawns that are watered deeply 2-3 times a week with a properly set up irrigation system do very well.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738