Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me recap.

The tree next to it was removed 5 years ago as it was clost to the power lines.
The light color leaves were next to the power lines and I suppose the root that looks like it was cut with a chain saw was also on the same side as the power lines?

You need to find a good aborist, check that root cut. It may be simply that that side of the tree is not getting uptake because of some damages to that root.

I see the beginning of the flare but it still looks a little deep. Could be from silt and fillin over the years of having a bed on it or it could be the natural flare. I am still getting the impression these are natual trees not transplants. If that is the case the flare maybe OK except for the silting in while in a Bed.

You do not normally see new growth of branchs come out on established tree trunks like that. Not too pleased with those cuts either. That typically is an sign of stress. I am not fully familiar with this OAK, nor am I an aborist.

I have a really good Arborist that I have worked with for 7 years on several sites. I learn a lot from him every visit we have doing tree inspections.

Last edited by Duekster; 06-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking this is a Pin Oak.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for everything Duekster, running short of time here so just wanted to make a quick post and I'll get more info later. Here's a pic before the landscaping and the tree that was removed was done the summer prior, just a note though in the next to last picture on the last page you can see a hole just to the left of the leaves that are yellowing? Thats where the tree that was cut was, it wasn't hiding these yellowish ones.

Second, remember I said I was watching for this to start because THEY ALL DID IT last year?

What changed? I'm not watering up to the property line anymore like you see the grass in the pics below?

Also might note we went to town yesterday; I kept an eye open for others and yu know what, I don't feel so bad I see other three's here a lot worse off then mine and yellow as a telephone book so think this could be lack of rain?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have already posted, I apologize.

The two recent pictures are before the beds could you try to replicated those "as is" today. I see some good root flare I did not see before. You are the best to judge not me but I can help more with "before" and "after" with similar shots.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If you have already posted, I apologize.

The two recent pictures are before the beds could you try to replicated those "as is" today. I see some good root flare I did not see before. You are the best to judge not me but I can help more with "before" and "after" with similar shots.
Have a look here:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=380540

Just scroll down till you get to the pics of the landscaping; I'm not to sure what your asking but if its pics as it looks today then they are in this thread.

If not what your asking, clearify a liitle more I don't follow what your asking

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This looks like a root cut from where the other tree was taken. Is that correct? I am not saying the other tree hid the yellow, I am asking if the other tree was covering that same area in the past.

In other words, I feel there is a connection between this root and those leaves. You better believe root issues on one side of the tree affects the very same side of the canopy.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You could be right bud, however thats where both tree's were growing together and the guy who cut it out (not electric co.) we hired a tree service to cut and grind out what stump he could without harming the other tree.

Now I attached you another pic, this was last year and the best I have but if you look close you can see brown on the Left side of the clump of tree's? Also look overtop of the right side of the house you will see a tree that looks dead? Also ours. This was what happened last summer and it wasn't only mine it was the whole area which was what prompted me to call the tree service I spoke of that was interviewed on the local news. He came out and wanted to do tree injections $600, like I said and if we didn't they would be dead this spring.

This pic might not do no justice and might have to dig it off my server and upload the uncompressed picture for you but my point is, this is what I'm watching for. It's only on the tree closest to the street were talking about now, but last year it was all of them on the leaves up high.

Also as I said, was in town again today and repeat of last summer. I see a lot of tree's worse off then mine and YELLOW as if it were fall of the year??

Think I may just be over reacting with mine? I don't know, I mean yea I see your point and get some of the bark back but also wondering if this is something I can't prevent no matter what I do?

Then God created Women
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
You could be right bud, however thats where both tree's were growing together and the guy who cut it out (not electric co.) we hired a tree service to cut and grind out what stump he could without harming the other tree.

Now I attached you another pic, this was last year and the best I have but if you look close you can see brown on the Left side of the clump of tree's? Also look overtop of the right side of the house you will see a tree that looks dead? Also ours. This was what happened last summer and it wasn't only mine it was the whole area which was what prompted me to call the tree service I spoke of that was interviewed on the local news. He came out and wanted to do tree injections $600, like I said and if we didn't they would be dead this spring.

This pic might not do no justice and might have to dig it off my server and upload the uncompressed picture for you but my point is, this is what I'm watching for. It's only on the tree closest to the street were talking about now, but last year it was all of them on the leaves up high.

Also as I said, was in town again today and repeat of last summer. I see a lot of tree's worse off then mine and YELLOW as if it were fall of the year??

Think I may just be over reacting with mine? I don't know, I mean yea I see your point and get some of the bark back but also wondering if this is something I can't prevent no matter what I do?
I do not know how to help you from this far away. I think if you follow my inquiry and statements I could tell the tree in question was once crowded by another tree. Then I saw the root cut. I have to think the yellowing, and the root cut are related.

It could be as simple as not enough feeder roots or something more serious.

I would like to see more of that root cut exposed to look for any signs of fungal decay, rot or other concerns.

Do you know how to look for and spot hypoxylon canker?

Again I am not an Arbortist but I do work with some high value trees and consult with one regularly on many concerns.

Do you use Phosphorus fertilizer? If you do that could stop the Mycorrhiza relationship with the tree roots system. May want to look at some soil injection around the tree and back off the Phosphorus.

So far you are doing the right things but I just want to make sure there is nothing else going on. We are about to the end of what I can do from here.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I do not know how to help you from this far away. I think if you follow my inquiry and statements I could tell the tree in question was once crowded by another tree. Then I saw the root cut. I have to think the yellowing, and the root cut are related.

It could be as simple as not enough feeder roots or something more serious.

I would like to see more of that root cut exposed to look for any signs of fungal decay, rot or other concerns.

Again I am not an Arbortist but I do work with some high value trees and consult with one regularly on many concerns.

Do you use Phosphorus fertilizer? If you do that could stop the Mycorrhiza relationship with the tree roots system. May want to look at some soil injection around the tree and back off the Phosphorus.

So far you are doing the right things but I just want to make sure there is nothing else going on. We are about to the end of what I can do from here.

Thanks
Sorry Duekster I deleted the e-mail notification and the slipped my mind with everything else going on. Till this morning I looked out the front door and there's a Oak across the street doing the same thing mine is.

Would you care for a picture?
Also, would it be ok if I removed some of the older photo's to this thread I need to clean out some of the photo's in the folder on facebook where I'm putting them.

Then God created Women
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Quote:
Just been two hot to get out and do much here lately or I'd done raked it back.
Quote:
No, but sure a google search would show me

Quote:
Would 10-10-10 count? I spread a 40 Lb bag around the roots last fall?

Thanks

Then God created Women