The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2003, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

start up probs

Hi im the new guy on the block
Ive been doing door hangers for the last couple of weeks with no response
i ve been targeting upper scale neighborhoods with plenty of yard to mow
i was wondering what other type of communities to target?
If anyone could help with the bidding side of the biz i would greatly appreciate it
thanks the newbie in the green
Old 07-11-2003, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I would talk to a reality agent. If you provide quality work at a reasonable price you should grow by word of mouth pretty quickly. Dump the door hangers, most people dont even look at them before tossing it.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

With it already being July, most people who want lawn service will probably have someone for this year. Now there may be some that are unhappy with their service and could be looking for someone else. Most likely you won't be picking up a ton of customers this year, but you do want to get your name out there.

The new subdivisions we have found in our area are comprised of people that are running short each month of cash. They have overextended themselves and can't afford lawn service. Out of over 100 lawn maintenance accounts, we only have a few in the new subdivisions.

We like to target older middle class neighborhoods. The homes may be older but the people living in them are more established and have some extra money for such things as lawn service, etc.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice so far
i hope to make a good impression on the industry over the next few years
Old 07-11-2003, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice so far
i hope to make a good impression on the industry over the next few years
Old 07-12-2003, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the most eye opening things I read that related to my advertising/marketing was from the book by Tom Stanley, "The Millionaire Next Door."

Just as MajorTom explained, often in larger neighborhoods you have a lot of the "keeping up with the Joneses" type mentality. People buy more house then they can afford and can't afford to maintain it.

We work in an old established neighborhood, built 80 plus years ago. Lots of old money. I find more descrtionary money in the smaller homes/lots than necessarily in the larger ones. You might hit the mother load in the bigger homes. But you're not looking to land the elephant. It wouldnt' be bad, but you've got to eat it. Try taking one bite a time in smaller more established neighborhoods where people have some money in the bank.

As well, starting in July is tough. As suggested, get in touch with realators for spot work. Prepare a mailing or package to give to each realtor in an office advertising your services. When they have a need they'll have your name.

Repeat your advertising multiple times, it will take time to build that recognition. Once you get some work under your belt it will begin to come a little easier.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1MajorTom

We like to target older middle class neighborhoods. The homes may be older but the people living in them are more established and have some extra money for such things as lawn service, etc.
Bingo! Dead center on the target!

Neighborhoods less than five years old can be difficult, then they seem to season with age, to a point, the older the better.

Don't give up on your door hangers, maybe consider direct mail approach. I'm still getting calls from the early spring mailing.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks al please keep the good threads a coming
Old 07-12-2003, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

G&P,
I started my business in July a few years ago. I had no choice though. That's when I got laid off from a corporate job. It was very slow at first, but this will give you time to learn and ask questions. Assess the competition. I also started working with a landscaper at this time. It helped fill in the gaps and I gained some experience as a landscaper which has tuned out to be where most of my revenue now comes from. Good luck.