Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

26 hp EFI Kohler in Walker burning oil problem lil help please

The number 1 cylinder has some oil consuming issue runs for about 1.5 hours before consuming enough oil to foul the plug and cause the oil not to read on the dipstick. The enhing and mower have less than 700 hrs and I just spent about 1-K with the dealer to repair everything without completely solving the problem.

It was running poorly and throwing a code they fixed that code and another appeared and so on it went. They say I could possibly need...
  • New Rings
  • New valve guides
  • Possibly a piston
  • And cylinderr itself may need work (whatever that means)

They say it would be cheaper to just buy a new engine $2-K... Wish they would have told me that $1,000 ago.

This all started with over fill of oil that caused a rod to bend. We replaced both. The engine shows no sign of leaking, it is all being burned but not smoking too much.

So masters of the mechanical realm whats your call, fix or replace? Replace with same engine or smaller or different engine.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Did they replace the reed valve...
The only Kohler rod I've ever seen bend was in an engine that went into a lake at WOT...they usually shatter...
Why would they replace the rods without inspecting the pistons..rings..and bores..
Sounds like you've found some real geniuses....watch your wallet...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Push rod ?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call Kohler, call Walker. At 700 hours and all that work something does not sound right
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
Push rod ?
I was thinking he was referring to the pushrods...but he said they replaced BOTH rods...not all the rods...
The only oil overfill related failure I've seen in a Command was a broken piston.
The engine was 2 quarts over...they forgot to drain the oil and just added 2 qts.
They were mowing the side of a ditch and all the oil went to one side of the engine..the piston was submerged under the oil ....filling up like a parachute...
The piston broke cleanly at the oil return slots..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We were about a quart over and all of our lawns are flat. we probably mowed 8-10 hours max with it like that. Yes we replaced both push rods in the #1 cylinder (only one was bent) that's the one burning the oil. It is closest to the seat and we would have to be going down a very steep hill to get in a situation like you described. The only incline we deal with is up the ramp on a enclosed trailer and it always goes in front words so the cylinder would be high and dryer.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That changes everything...
Never can get enough good information..
A qt over might pump oil into the carb thru the vent tube and make it smoke..
It wouldn't affect the oil pressure to the point of overpressurizing the lifters and bend the pushrods...they should have also replaced the lifters..they can get clogged and pump up and bend the pushrods...
You probably have a break in the head gasket between the oil drainback and the cylinder....maybe a broken reed valve...
Posted via Mobile Device