Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Repairing Michigan Seat

One of the cables inside the Michigan seat on my Hustler has broken. Before I tear into it does anyone have any experience or tips on breaking the seat down to the point where the repair can be made? I did an internet search but couln't come up with any diagrams.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had to repair mine before. It is fairly straight forward. On mine the aluminum cross member was worn and one of the large steel springs pulled through the eyelet. First I removed the seat from the machine. Then flipped it over and removed the screws that hold the cushions on. The worst thing for me was that they said they couldn't sell me just the piece that was bad. I had to buy a pile of parts in some kit. This was in 09. I had to work on my seat switch the other week and and I noticed the same thing was happening. I took the old one to a local welding shop and had them make the material 3x times thicker were the springs goes through. As soon as the one on there goes out I will swap them out. I have asked local dealers and they said they haven't had a lot of problems with this seat. I must be fatter than most yard guys then because I have had the same problem twice.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My seat broke in about 3 years. That aluminum cross member is a POOR design. I cried to Michigan seat so loud, that they sent me 2 new aluminum cross members. Both have since broke. The cable pulled through the aluminum. I figured a way to use wire ties to permanently have my seat on the firmest setting. The picture shows 2 wire ties, but I actually use 10-12 heavy duty ties. It will last about a year.
Attached Images

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Would gates clamps last any longer than the cable ties? Just a thought. With the thousands of these they have sold, you would think there would be some sort of update for that piece because it is going to happen to all of them sooner or later. The little plastic insert at the eyelet is a joke. Having said all of that, it does make for a harsh ride when they break, so I'll keep fixing mine.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's another picture. I secure the aluminum bracket to the cross beam in the seat frame with the wire ties. This leaves the seat in the firmest setting all the time.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm maybe I should take my new seat apart and lubricate those points to slow down the wear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's my broken seat adjustment cables and that infanous aluminum bracket ( broke).
Attached Images