Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientia View Post
It thrives in prolonged wet conditions, think rotting.
If you can't control all the environmental variables to prevent it, well
Spraying preventative and curative apps of chitin for NRS is like wiping with sand paper, yeah it feels like your doing something butt at the end of the day
what was gained.
I too was interested in an answer to the question...

What do you mean by your answer???. it seems like your saying that the turf should be excessively wet in order for the stuff to work...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
scientia scientia is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: pa
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I too was interested in an answer to the question...
..
I concur,but at least there is a refreshing smell.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAmateur View Post
I don't think the NPP works. I'm not knocking it or trying to diss anybody, but I have not seen it do squat on anything I have applied it to. The tea on the other hand I think is quite nice.
Did you adjust water pH to 5.0-5.5 before mixing?
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM
JCResources JCResources is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: central Kansas USA
Posts: 112
Worked great on an early season infestation of brown patch here in Kansas.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Did you adjust water pH to 5.0-5.5 before mixing?
Don't know about him, but I used LI-700 to adjust my pH down. Did not take a pH test but did follow the label on the acidifier and the resulting solution with the 1-2-3 NPP had truly a weak orange juice smell to it, which I figure put me in the right ballpark pH wise.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,819
So... does the stuff work better with excessive moisture?
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So... does the stuff work better with excessive moisture?
Small,
I think you've misunderstood the conversation.

Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS
So, how does a good watering program serve to minimize the impacts of NRS? What moisture level (or lack thereof) does NRS seem to thrive in?

Originally Posted by scientia
It thrives in prolonged wet conditions, think rotting.
If you can't control all the environmental variables to prevent it, well
Spraying preventative and curative apps of chitin for NRS is like wiping with sand paper, yeah it feels like your doing something butt at the end of the day
what was gained.

Originally Posted by Smallaxe.
I too was interested in an answer to the question...
What do you mean by your answer???. it seems like your saying that the turf should be excessively wet in order for the stuff to work...


It's Necrotic Ring Spot that thrives in wet conditions, the turf should not be excessively wet when applying NPP.
And it has been stated several times in this discussion that NPP (which contains chitin) will only alleviate the symptoms. A complete cultural program must be established to reduce/eliminate the cause of NRS. NPP is not a miracle cure.
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,812
I am seeing the NPP product mitigate the effects of NRS for sure. NRS usually starts to crop up bad about now, and so far all I am seeing is faint rings in the worst areas, instead of a complete ring die out like usual. Stay tuned....
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:14 AM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I am seeing the NPP product mitigate the effects of NRS for sure. NRS usually starts to crop up bad about now, and so far all I am seeing is faint rings in the worst areas, instead of a complete ring die out like usual. Stay tuned....
And you have used NPP as a tool in your systematic approach to the underlying cause of the disease.

I have never stated that NPP or any other product is a magic bullet.
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
ChiTownAmateur ChiTownAmateur is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Don't know about him, but I used LI-700 to adjust my pH down. Did not take a pH test but did follow the label on the acidifier and the resulting solution with the 1-2-3 NPP had truly a weak orange juice smell to it, which I figure put me in the right ballpark pH wise.
I went back and read the label again. Jeezus man they put that in small, small print, about as small as anybody could read.

No I did not change the pH but I certainly am willing to try. What can I add to tap water that will lower the pH without changing the NPP for the worse?

Thank you in advance...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.09296 seconds with 9 queries