Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

NOt bad really for a first job, just lack of design knowledge, but that comes with experience. I'm going to dig up my first job and post it here, if I can find it.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Really the work isn't all thy bad. But like zedo-roni said the design is terrible. There is a little more to hardscaping them just stacking and laying block and pavers. The planting is terrible. Design work is like music - is all has to have harmony.

On a positive note - at least I'm not seeing the ground and beds lined with landscape gravel!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Really the work isn't all thy bad. But like zedo-roni said the design is terrible. There is a little more to hardscaping them just stacking and laying block and pavers. The planting is terrible. Design work is like music - is all has to have harmony.

On a positive note - at least I'm not seeing the ground and beds lined with landscape gravel!

Posted via Mobile Device
We realize the design could have been a little better.. Also plants are not finished... We have many other things going in, plus some being moved around. Overall the customer loved the wall and walk.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee0914 View Post
We realize the design could have been a little better.. Also plants are not finished... We have many other things going in, plus some being moved around. Overall the customer loved the wall and walk.
Customers usually will love the work because they don't know the ABC's of design . Nor do most contractors!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, if the customer is happy, the contractor is happy. Life goes on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Being north NJ tell me the planting finish is install a Prunus Subhirtella 24" off the house in the right radius. The step layout is not ideal as mentioned, but more so a grey soldier would have helped tie it all together better. You can let the customer choose, but it is usually a good idea to make suggestions on things like contrasting colors, and steer them away from potentially bad choices.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

STEPS:
- If you would had started the steps closer to the driveway it would had taken care of the embankment you created on the right side of the steps sloping into them.
- It looks like an additional step can be put in.

WALL:
- Wrong product chosen for such a tight radius
- Not saying the tight radius is even the proper design

DESIGN:
- usually I could care less about colors, but its too busy as a result of colors
- and theres more
Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

lol, it looks good! This isnt a 2.5 million dollar house which is what alot of guys dont realize. Those are the guys that are 2x the price and dont get the job and bash the guy that does because he is smart enough to simplify it.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I liked the natural stone wall better (I am not a big fan of segmental walls, but of course that is just me talking, which doesn't mean anything to what your customer wants). Ultimately, you work for them and they sign your paycheck. I would respectfully have to agree about the steps, they do look a bit out of place. By adding that 3rd material to the segmental wall and pavers it gets a bit busy, but all in all I wouldn't hang my head at all if I were you. For a first project I think you did very well. Sometimes the reactions can be a bit harsh and unforgiving from some of the members on here (I guess they seem to have forgotten that they didn't start out as hardscape gods, but just like you they had to study and learn as they went). Try to gain inspiration and ideas from others and craft your own style. You'll do fine.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com

Tags
maya , semma , techo , walk , wall