Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It has been exceptionally slow this year picking up new accounts around here too. No major losses either.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Your answer is THEY ARE NOT MAKING IT. A true businessman or Professional will survive.

Each spring we see a new crop of lawn boys hit the street. But long about August there is a big decrease in Yard Boys. Between heat and broken Equipment they just disappear until a new crop next spring.

Next wash out comes in late Oct to November. The problem is the Un-irrigated Bahia yards. By the end of Oct they won't need cut but maybe twice until the start of next years rainy season starting in June. The Quality of accounts is more important than the number. By the Cut service is a No No here in Florida if you want to make it. Only year round contact accounts are worth going after. We have a year round growing season but it is WET & DRY SEASONS NOT SUMMER, WINTER.

I believe this is your first year here in Florida. The longer you are in business the better Your client list becomes. There is a nice living to be made here but it will take a couple of year to get established and CULL the bad customer in favor of the good ones.

BTW IMHO $ 65.00 a month is 1990s pricing. Listen to Fl-landscape his advice is good.
Ya I'm getting to the point I've starting going higher. I have a couple at $75 a month for straight lots. I just talked a guy into trimming his shrubs and spraying for weeds for another $35 a month. He doesn't have much to trim. But I have one at $90 a month that wants it trimmed almost weekly. I don't haul it. Just trim with the echo hedge trimmers and pick it up. But it takes longer to do that than it does to mow. I just need like 10 more accounts to start weeding out about 3 bad ones that I would like to drop.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't realize this was in the "Florida" subforum until just now, but I'll post anyway.

I'm just outside of Pittsburgh PA. I went to do an estimate in the spring and the front "lawn" consisted of a very steep hill about 25' up from the street. To get your mower up there you had to lift it up about 3' because there's a short wall at the bottom.
The hill was also dotted with shrubs and trees making a difficult cut that much more difficult. The back yard was irrelevant to me, because at this point I had already decided I didn't want to deal with it. Not worth risk of injury, or damage to equipment.

I spoke to the homeowner (renter actually) and explained that for the above reasons I was not interested, but would do it as a "one time" cut if she needed me to. (for a somewhat high price)

She said I was the only person out of the six she called to actually show up for an estimate, and two others told her by phone they weren't interested.
"We moved here from Florida and down there people are fighting each other to cut your grass!"

I guess it's different everywhere you go. There's a ton of lawn care guys here - both legit and illegal. There's also a pretty large population here, so there doesn't seem to be a shortage of work out there. I started a year and a half ago and I learned last year to stop working for less than I wanted to (realistically) make. Someone else can do the crap jobs. There are others out there who will pay more.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I wish there was some sort of lawn exchange. Trade off accounts so we aren't all driving over the top of each other. Like have an area or district. It's seems so wasteful everyone driving around all over the place crossing over each other next door to each other even.

Plus it would help with the low prices and help make the prices go up some for the certain area. Too bad there isn't something like that.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I didn't realize this was in the "Florida" subforum until just now, but I'll post anyway.

I'm just outside of Pittsburgh PA. I went to do an estimate in the spring and the front "lawn" consisted of a very steep hill about 25' up from the street. To get your mower up there you had to lift it up about 3' because there's a short wall at the bottom.
The hill was also dotted with shrubs and trees making a difficult cut that much more difficult. The back yard was irrelevant to me, because at this point I had already decided I didn't want to deal with it. Not worth risk of injury, or damage to equipment.

I spoke to the homeowner (renter actually) and explained that for the above reasons I was not interested, but would do it as a "one time" cut if she needed me to. (for a somewhat high price)

She said I was the only person out of the six she called to actually show up for an estimate, and two others told her by phone they weren't interested.
"We moved here from Florida and down there people are fighting each other to cut your grass!"

I guess it's different everywhere you go. There's a ton of lawn care guys here - both legit and illegal. There's also a pretty large population here, so there doesn't seem to be a shortage of work out there. I started a year and a half ago and I learned last year to stop working for less than I wanted to (realistically) make. Someone else can do the crap jobs. There are others out there who will pay more.

The established WORD OF MOUTH guys are actually turning down work here in Florida. Sure the economy is bad, but quality always has a demand.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

You ask how people work for $15 a cut. etc.. well for those of us that are established YOU are the lowballer who will do it for $65 a month.. keep that in mind.. how the hell do you do it??

your work should speak for itself.. that's how you get new customers.. get out there and talk to people.. talk to other LCO's, not here on the internet.
I understand your begging for work.. we have all had our lows but don't be the lowballer.. your clients may use you for a couple of months but guaranteed they will be calling someone else 6 months from now.. Pick a pricing method, stick to it.

Our pricing starts at $65 for biweekly service and $100 for full service..
Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
You ask how people work for $15 a cut. etc.. well for those of us that are established YOU are the lowballer who will do it for $65 a month.. keep that in mind.. how the hell do you do it??

your work should speak for itself.. that's how you get new customers.. get out there and talk to people.. talk to other LCO's, not here on the internet.
I understand your begging for work.. we have all had our lows but don't be the lowballer.. your clients may use you for a couple of months but guaranteed they will be calling someone else 6 months from now.. Pick a pricing method, stick to it.

Our pricing starts at $65 for biweekly service and $100 for full service..
You would never get that here. Port Charlotte is depressed. No jobs. Everyone is amazed when my wife tells them she has two part time jobs. They say she is lucky to have a job at all here. I just quoted a job that took 4 pieces of equipment to mow it. They threw a fit about $75 a month and decided to take care of it themselves. They were my neighbors and just bought the new house moving into it next week. I had to get a 22" Walk behind out to mow behind the fence down to the water line. It was steep and has 8 trees behind the fence and about another 8 trees just in the back yard. Plus chain link trimming in and out. It took me over an hour to clean it up. I told them $60 to trim a big queen palm off the power lines and it has huge seed pods, trim 3 palmettos and cut 4 small palmettos out to the bottom and those 4 where on the slope on the water line. They said it was too much and his wife threw a fit and told him he has to do it. LOL. Just to give you an idea how it is here. And I went out and mowed it being nice on Sunday because he knocked on my door want wanted it done today at the new house. So I went over and did it.

Last edited by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care; 07-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Why did you move there then?

- Port Charlotte, Fl--The median income for a household in the CDP was $33,193, and the median income for a family was $38,406.

-Orlando, Fl-- The median income for a household in the city was $35,732, and the median income for a family was $40,648.

These are 2010 numbers.. People pay it here, why not there?

You have to set yourself apart from the rest of the guys you see out there.. Find your niche. and hit it hard
Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
Why did you move there then?

- Port Charlotte, Fl--The median income for a household in the CDP was $33,193, and the median income for a family was $38,406.

-Orlando, Fl-- The median income for a household in the city was $35,732, and the median income for a family was $40,648.

These are 2010 numbers.. People pay it here, why not there?

You have to set yourself apart from the rest of the guys you see out there.. Find your niche. and hit it hard

Here it is. You can look it up on Google earth if you like. They just bought it for $99k.
1476 Hayworth Port Charlotte

You can't see how steep it is behind that fence line on Google earth but you can see the fence line if you imagine a split between the two lines of trees in back. It's so steep the 22" walk behind wants to flip over into the water on the last two passes. Plus it's Floratam grass. Nice and thick. And they wanted the canal line weed trimmed.

Last edited by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care; 07-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I even had a guy stiff me for $65 for a month of service after I cleaned up his mess of a yard. It's unreal here. He told me he would pay me at the end of the month. He had like a $60k RV and he was like 65-70 years old. I can scan it and paste it on here. He sent the invoice back to me and said he can't afford my service. I called and told him he still owes for the month I mowed. He doesn't answer and I leave messages. He never returns the call.