Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
OldLawnMowerMan81 OldLawnMowerMan81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukie (Oak Grove), OR
Posts: 61
How To Perform Governor Adjustments on BBC Mowers

Has anyone ever tried to make any governor adjustments on any lawn mowers as equipped with the BBC?

My 1984 Toro 20672 is one of those mowers that are equipped with the BBC. The governed high speed, according to Toro, is between 2800-3200 RPM, which I believe is with the blade engaged. If the median is 3000, then with the clutch on (blade is not spinning), that would be closer to about 3100 RPM or so.

And my question is thus: What would I do to check the engine speed, with the blade spinning (meaning you c*ck the bail bar toward the engine and then back toward you, to spin the blade)? The tone and pitch of the engine will be slightly different with the clutch engaged (blade is disengaged, or not spinning). This is truly a two-man effort if you wish to do so with the blade engaged.

So, folks, what do you do to determine the engine speed, blade engaged vs. blade disengaged?

~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLawnMowerMan81 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to make any governor adjustments on any lawn mowers as equipped with the BBC?

My 1984 Toro 20672 is one of those mowers that are equipped with the BBC. The governed high speed, according to Toro, is between 2800-3200 RPM, which I believe is with the blade engaged. If the median is 3000, then with the clutch on (blade is not spinning), that would be closer to about 3100 RPM or so.

And my question is thus: What would I do to check the engine speed, with the blade spinning (meaning you c*ck the bail bar toward the engine and then back toward you, to spin the blade)? The tone and pitch of the engine will be slightly different with the clutch engaged (blade is disengaged, or not spinning). This is truly a two-man effort if you wish to do so with the blade engaged.

So, folks, what do you do to determine the engine speed, blade engaged vs. blade disengaged?

~Ben
Generally the rpms are set at no load which is called high idle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
OldLawnMowerMan81 OldLawnMowerMan81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukie (Oak Grove), OR
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Generally the rpms are set at no load which is called high idle.
Posted via Mobile Device
So, even with the blade disengaged, then, if I were to measure the governed speed using a tachometer (TinyTach, for example), it should still read 3000 or so tops, correct?

Likewise, most Honda lawnmower-size engines (GV150, GV200, GXV120, GXV140, etc.) are governed for 3100 RPM tops, with a marginal error (the plus/minus constant) of 100 RPM (3000-3200 RPM). That is, if any of you mechanics are familiar with and/or have preferences to this term.

~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLawnMowerMan81 View Post
So, even with the blade disengaged, then, if I were to measure the governed speed using a tachometer (TinyTach, for example), it should still read 3000 or so tops, correct?

Likewise, most Honda lawnmower-size engines (GV150, GV200, GXV120, GXV140, etc.) are governed for 3100 RPM tops, with a marginal error (the plus/minus constant) of 100 RPM (3000-3200 RPM). That is, if any of you mechanics are familiar with and/or have preferences to this term.

~Ben
Correct. When put under a load the gov will adjust the speed back to 3000-3200 rpms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 PM
dutch1's Avatar
dutch1 dutch1 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Jayhawk
Posts: 2,181
That's a revelation to me--that Toro ever produced a BBC that was Tecumseh equipped. I spent 7 years in a Toro shop from the late 90's to the early 2000's and never saw one in the shop. Rather surprised that a Tecumseh of that age is still running--you must have given it exceptional care.

It's just me but I would set it at 3000 under load(blade engaged) and be done with it. On the other hand, if you're still on the unaltered original engine, leave it as it has been.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM
OldLawnMowerMan81 OldLawnMowerMan81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukie (Oak Grove), OR
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
That's a revelation to me--that Toro ever produced a BBC that was Tecumseh equipped. I spent 7 years in a Toro shop from the late 90's to the early 2000's and never saw one in the shop. Rather surprised that a Tecumseh of that age is still running--you must have given it exceptional care.

It's just me but I would set it at 3000 under load(blade engaged) and be done with it. On the other hand, if you're still on the unaltered original engine, leave it as it has been.
The engine I have on my '84 Toro is the original one from the factory.

But my next question is this: has anyone tried to bend the governor spring whilst the engine is running? This is where it becomes a two-man job: one man would be holding the handle bail bar (so as to verify the top speed with blade spinning), and the other would be performing governor adjustments.

~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,027
Ben...I'm sure it would be safer adjusting it that way....but...
In the mower shops...we just tie down the handle bail....and adjust it...
I usually use a big spring loaded clamp....

BBC..???..When did they put Big Block Chevys on mowers....?
Missed that day in school....
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
OldLawnMowerMan81 OldLawnMowerMan81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukie (Oak Grove), OR
Posts: 61
What I meant to say is this: my engine is the TNT100. On this series of engines, to increase the speed you will have to bend the tab (for which one end of the governor spring hooks to) leftward; to decrease speed, this same tab is bent forward.

It is actually not recommended to bend the tab back or forward whilst the engine is running because you may risk burns from the hot engine. Also, it is not recommended to tie down the control bar for safety reasons.

Also: I wanted to know whether or not the #670326 governor adjustment tool Tecumseh supplies actually works with the TNT100 and TNT120 series engines.

~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM
dutch1's Avatar
dutch1 dutch1 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Jayhawk
Posts: 2,181
I just pull out the recoil rope and wrap 4 or 5 overlapping wraps around the handle. I didn't take the time to look at the gov speed adjustment--Tecumseh used several different arrangements but apparently you have that covered.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
OldLawnMowerMan81 OldLawnMowerMan81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukie (Oak Grove), OR
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Ben...I'm sure it would be safer adjusting it that way....but...
In the mower shops...we just tie down the handle bail....and adjust it...
I usually use a big spring loaded clamp....

BBC..???..When did they put Big Block Chevys on mowers....?
Missed that day in school....
Posted via Mobile Device
BBC = blade brake clutch

~Ben
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bbc , mower , speed , toro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.07352 seconds with 9 queries