Register free!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

First, congrats on the rain. Here is Springfield, Illinois we are getting "drops" of rain while the towns north and south are getting measurable rain...sighhh.

You mentioned that the humidity has gone up. Should be happy with that! This is the first season where I can really tell how the humidity is helping. Temps are in the upper 90's but my turf is still so moist even after not applying irrigation for days. Probably gonna battle the diseases here soon though. It's a never ending war but that is what makes it so fun...right???

Keep up the fight...those tiny little plants love you for it!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Ok here's a question for you thats been posed to me, due to cultural practices we all water during the day so the foliage is dry at night therefore preventing or limiting the chance of fungus.

I've been watering during the day, 95 degree's but how much of that is evaporating and would I get better watering in the ground watering at night?
Watering in the day makes the ground moist. Dew makes the ground moist at night.

Having the lawn/ground wet/damp 24/7 provides the proper conditions for lawn diseases to thrive.

Best to water at night so the ground will be dry during the day and break the cycle for disease.

I water my lawn once a week. Auto timer starts at 12am and runs first zone for 15 min, other 8 zones for 1hr each. One deep watering and my lawn is not burning up.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Here again is a good place to, look into the soil, to know if your water is getting into the rootzone... it is possible that the soil is moist after a shorter period of time and stays wetter longer than you think... doesn't hurt to check...
I think Kirk should topdress with sand, its always moist under concrete.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Ok here's a question for you thats been posed to me, due to cultural practices we all water during the day so the foliage is dry at night therefore preventing or limiting the chance of fungus.

I've been watering during the day, 95 degree's but how much of that is evaporating and would I get better watering in the ground watering at night?
Watering in the day makes the ground moist. Dew makes the ground moist at night.

Having the lawn/ground wet/damp 24/7 provides the proper conditions for lawn diseases to thrive.

Best to water at night so the ground will be dry during the day and break the cycle for disease.

I water my lawn once a week. Auto timer starts at 12am and runs first zone for 15 min, other 8 zones for 1hr each. One deep watering and my lawn is not burning up.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

Ok' we got it the first time. Wtf?