Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Disadvantages of sprayer that pumps from 55Gal drum

what are the disadvantages of using a spray system that pumps from 55gal drums?
This spray system plugs directly into a 55 gallon drum (DRUM NOT INCLUDED) and is designed to recirculate the sealer in the drum to mix it and it's also designed to spray the sealer in an even fan shape spray pattern.

http://store.asphaltkingdom.com/pave...e-ak2200b.html
Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Save your $$$ Look for a decent used tank setup with a diaphragm pump setup and hydraulic agitation. You can't properly get all the sands and solids suspended with a circulation setup. Plus the trash pump sprayer won't hold up well spraying all the solids. Just my opinion!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

we are a 40 yr construction contracting company that added seal coat 1 1/2 ago due to alot of customer request... we did alot of research and being in the family construction biz we had a good idea what we wanted and what equipt would/wouldnt work..

we wanted to run a small tank/ approx 110 gallon to fit in small truck/trucks our reasoning was of course the obvious storage/licensing/insurance/plates of the larger vehicle, we ended up building our own equipt.. we use a poly tank and built two different versions of agitation a hand/paddle agitation and also a paint style 'propeller mixer from the top both work well but we prefer the propeller style.. right off the start we wanted to reduce fuel cost to run the equipt was very important to us and would increase margins this derived from years in the construction business running gas equipt.. we ultimately added a power inverter dc to ac to run our mixer.. we use a 12 v diaphragm pump designed for pumping/spraying ag chemicals with heavy grit which produces about 100 psi.. we love our system that's all electric ran right off a little chevy s10 and it saves us a ton in operating cost.. pumps/sprayers are very cheap and we have yet to have an issue but carry spare pump in the event a quick change out is needed, we do flush with clean water at the end of the day.. total investment of about 700 dollars, it does require some mechanical knowledge to put together (a little sweat equity).. it gives us the option of spraying or hand applying without buckets as we just pump the sealer without tip to the drive and brush/squeegee/ and or spray.. we prefer spray as it gives a beautiful result but you do run into those that insist on hand applied, we don't argue just give em what they want!! alot of guys like the larger tanks but we have 3 suppliers withing 4 miles so its nothing to fill up in the morning like going to the gas station..lol... we mainly do residential and if we need larger capacity for a bigger job we just trailer another small tank but its rare we need this.. bottom line is you have to fit a system to your business plan and with a spray system it can also be utilized for pumping sealer for hand applied.. the deal with a spray system is you need to match the tip with your pump/psi for optimal results, most seal coat tips are the 80/70- 80/20 style but you can get the same tips meg style with smaller gpm orfice rating.. we have since separated the sealing from our construction company and it really makes a good margin.. image is alot for us, we run a clean truck/lettered, and push our enviromental/green advantages.. like i said we have three suppliers close brewer/gemseal/sealmaster, we opted after trying all to go with the ae sealmaster as part of the green effort we push.. we do like brewers product "coal tar" but in our area a big stink was made regarding coal tar banning and even lowes/homedepot pulled there coaltar products from the shelf.. alot will come down to your business model/budget but you can have a very nice system for a small investment.. p.s sure is nice and quiet running electric compared to gas equipt..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13 View Post
we are a 40 yr construction contracting company that added seal coat 1 1/2 ago due to alot of customer request... we did alot of research and being in the family construction biz we had a good idea what we wanted and what equipt would/wouldnt work..

we wanted to run a small tank/ approx 110 gallon to fit in small truck/trucks our reasoning was of course the obvious storage/licensing/insurance/plates of the larger vehicle, we ended up building our own equipt.. we use a poly tank and built two different versions of agitation a hand/paddle agitation and also a paint style 'propeller mixer from the top both work well but we prefer the propeller style.. right off the start we wanted to reduce fuel cost to run the equipt was very important to us and would increase margins this derived from years in the construction business running gas equipt.. we ultimately added a power inverter dc to ac to run our mixer.. we use a 12 v diaphragm pump designed for pumping/spraying ag chemicals with heavy grit which produces about 100 psi.. we love our system that's all electric ran right off a little chevy s10 and it saves us a ton in operating cost.. pumps/sprayers are very cheap and we have yet to have an issue but carry spare pump in the event a quick change out is needed, we do flush with clean water at the end of the day.. total investment of about 700 dollars, it does require some mechanical knowledge to put together (a little sweat equity).. it gives us the option of spraying or hand applying without buckets as we just pump the sealer without tip to the drive and brush/squeegee/ and or spray.. we prefer spray as it gives a beautiful result but you do run into those that insist on hand applied, we don't argue just give em what they want!! alot of guys like the larger tanks but we have 3 suppliers withing 4 miles so its nothing to fill up in the morning like going to the gas station..lol... we mainly do residential and if we need larger capacity for a bigger job we just trailer another small tank but its rare we need this.. bottom line is you have to fit a system to your business plan and with a spray system it can also be utilized for pumping sealer for hand applied.. the deal with a spray system is you need to match the tip with your pump/psi for optimal results, most seal coat tips are the 80/70- 80/20 style but you can get the same tips meg style with smaller gpm orfice rating.. we have since separated the sealing from our construction company and it really makes a good margin.. image is alot for us, we run a clean truck/lettered, and push our enviromental/green advantages.. like i said we have three suppliers close brewer/gemseal/sealmaster, we opted after trying all to go with the ae sealmaster as part of the green effort we push.. we do like brewers product "coal tar" but in our area a big stink was made regarding coal tar banning and even lowes/homedepot pulled there coaltar products from the shelf.. alot will come down to your business model/budget but you can have a very nice system for a small investment.. p.s sure is nice and quiet running electric compared to gas equipt..
What make and model pump is this 12V diaphragm pump you use? Also...what power inverter do you use? And how about those tips...do tell.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

First i have to make a correction!! i said diaphragm pump in the post my mistake...

we use this style pump, which is a roller pump, the pump itself is very cheap it runs under 100 bucks.. you can also direct drive this style pump with a gas motor if desired!!
http://www.hypropumps.com/en-us/Prod...r/4000/12Volt/

easy internet search will give you many options for your inverter as far as brands a true sine wave type is best and of course get as many watts as your bugget will allow...

tips depend on the sand load and preassure/ we have a preasure regulator plumbed into our system and we adjust as needed...

hope it helps...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. What size hose and how many feet of it are you running?

I'm wondering how well this sprays.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Tried uploading pics but upload kept failing?

the tank to pump/ pump to tank recirc hose id is 3/4.. the spray hose is 1/2 id @ 100 ft..

the pump makes a true preasure and we have had no issue what so ever, sprays like a dream... hypro makes many different pump types aswell including small piston pumps if you would like to try something different... i like the roller there cheap, small, easily replaced on the fly if need be and can be rebuilt (replacing rollers) we have not had to do this yet... you will need the preasure regulator IMHO plumbed in gives you alot of control this way... hope it helps..

P.S I experimented with the trash pump and it will spray, however its no comparrison to the roller..imho
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13 View Post
Tried uploading pics but upload kept failing?

the tank to pump/ pump to tank recirc hose id is 3/4.. the spray hose is 1/2 id @ 100 ft..

the pump makes a true preasure and we have had no issue what so ever, sprays like a dream... hypro makes many different pump types aswell including small piston pumps if you would like to try something different... i like the roller there cheap, small, easily replaced on the fly if need be and can be rebuilt (replacing rollers) we have not had to do this yet... you will need the preasure regulator IMHO plumbed in gives you alot of control this way... hope it helps..

P.S I experimented with the trash pump and it will spray, however its no comparrison to the roller..imho
Thanks. That's really interesting how a trash pump is no comparison to a 12 volt roller. Are you using a strainer? I would like to see some pics of this setup. Some video of it, and especially it spraying would be awesome. I have little truck I would love to try it on.

You can email me the pics at subzmail at gmail dot com

I see there are several models in that 4000 series of pumps. Which model are you using to get these results?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

If it's the 4101-E2H, I'd to know where you can get one for under $100. Or do you have to pay the initial four hundred and something to get the electric motor too?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

correct the pump itself is approx 100 bucks.. we have the retail chains here called farm&fleet and tractor supply which it can be purchased @..

your motor will be an additional cost ..electric or gas.. as this is always the case