Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Facebook

Use a website template service like Weebly to build/maintain/update your own website.

Angie's List has been good to me.... and a customer does NOT have to "put' you there or review you to get on it. That's false info. https://business.angieslist.com/default.aspx Once you are on Angie's List, you may have to do a bit of leg work (nothing major) to get reviews to come in (they give you some tools to do this, free)... I have 20 reviews and the exposure has been great.

Craigslist (at least around here) is the worst, most low-rent type of advertising- only scrub lawn guys fighting over who can do it lower.... I suggest staying away.

Quality work and referrals!!!!

Skip the phone book completely. Total waste of money (IMO) and the salespeople will HOUND you for years.

OH, and NEVER offer "free" cuts or reduced pricing. Next thing you know, word gets around and you're fighting to keep alive because all the discounts and eaten up your profits. Start offering "free" cuts and next you'll be figuring how much you have to mow additionally to make up those costs.

Hey, thanks for the linky. It didn't convince me initially because the linked page doesn't "say" much, but when I clicked on the "FAQ", I do see where it says that a business CAN sign up.

What it says on the main site...

Quote:
How do service companies and health professionals receive grades on the List?
A service or health professional is graded on the List only after a member submits a report and grades about their experience. Companies and health professionals can not pay to be put on the List, nor are they allowed to submit grades on themselves.
That's a bit misleading. It implies what I've assumed and stated previously.
Sneaky wording is what it really is.

Thanks though. The more I know about Angie's List, the more I realize it's just a business with "profit" as their first priority. The "we help people" thing is a distant second.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Hey, thanks for the linky. It didn't convince me initially because the linked page doesn't "say" much, but when I clicked on the "FAQ", I do see where it says that a business CAN sign up.

What it says on the main site...

That's a bit misleading. It implies what I've assumed and stated previously.
Sneaky wording is what it really is.

Thanks though. The more I know about Angie's List, the more I realize it's just a business with "profit" as their first priority. The "we help people" thing is a distant second.
I registered some time ago. I followed the link too. It seems Angie has loosened up a little.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

people actually use angies list?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
good question. I think that is part of the reason Angie is now providing more tools to contractors to get their clients to long on to Angie and file a report.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Absolutely. I gave them my Quickbooks customer list (to cross-reference with their members) to start the process of getting reviews coming in.... and I was amazed at who was a member.

I think it's the new BBB... more easy to navigate and a bit more "younger customer" friendly.

I'm a member myself. And OakNut, you're right about the 'business' end of Angie's List. They are always hitting me up for advertising stuff, calls and e-mails all the time cause I have good reviews and they try to sell you on "front page placement." Well, my goal was to get on the front page in Louisville with a number of REVIEWS that I've sought out for the most part, and it worked, for free. lol... so I'm not going to pay you for additional stuff. Maybe one day.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

theres a lot on a busy street. im going to see if i caint get a hold of the person and see about putting up a billboard in return for me mowing it for free. i dunno how well it will go over with them
Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
theres a lot on a busy street. im going to see if i caint get a hold of the person and see about putting up a billboard in return for me mowing it for free. i dunno how well it will go over with them
check city ordinances
Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

meh!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Sponsor

I know you mentioned that you have a hard time going door to door, but if you decided to try some door hangers, check out A'Deas Printing.. We have some specials going on right now. We have some innovative ideas and products that help with your advertising. If going door to door is not your thing you could look into doing a direct mail piece. We offer that service as well.. We can help you get a mailing list according the an area(s) you want to target and also help design a post card to have mailed. If you would like any info or pricing let me know! Feel free to call or email, My name is Glenda
My number is 1-866-778-4254 and my email is glenda@adeasprinting.com
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

get 10,000 post cards made. get 10,000 baggies. get 10,000 rocks. put them together on the back of your pickup truck. get a lawn chair in ur truck. have your wife/girlfriend drive at a slow pace through subd. you can put out 5,000 in a day. real fast you just toss them out your truck on there drive. 10k flyers in 2 days. calls got to come in! make a nice post card!! people will call.

Tags
advertising , general liability , lawn biz coach