Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark lazer z hydro pump blow out

Hi guys I have been lurking on this forum but I just decided to register finally. I am a mechanic for a landscaping company. Recently I had a very severe hydro pump failure on a 2007 lazer.
I have rebuilt and replaced many hydro pumps and motors and this is the biggest mess I've seen

Normally I just flush out all the lines, the reservoir and put on a new filter, and fix the damaged component. This time there is soo much metal in the lines and reservoir I am concerned about the wheel motors and the other pump

Should I go through the trouble to take those apart to clean them if debris? I was thinking about just doing as I normally do but I feel that won't be effective enough

Anyone been through this or have any reccomendations?

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill ...you shouldn't get any cross contamination..the fluid goes thru the filter before it goes to the pumps..
On the real bad ones..I flush 1 or 2 qts of Mobil 1 thru the wheelmotor..
Cut the opening of the Mobil 1 contaner just large enough for one of the high pressure hoses to fit in it...Hold the hose to the bottom of the quart bottle and turn the wheelmotor.
I usually flush 1 qt in one direction and 1 in the other direction...
remove and clean the hoses and tank....
If you stick a large magnet to the side of the hydotank...the tank will magnetize and catch the metal shavings before they reach or clog the hydro filter. Just make sure to glue the magnet so it doesnt fall off and release all the shavings at once...
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the help. I think I am going to do what you suggested. I can't afford not to. It's easier than tearing the pump/ motor apart cleaning and reassembling
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First thing you have to do is determin what the metal is from. Is the splines in the wheel motor failing or is it just the input or thrust brg. New pump will go by by quick if the motor is failing. If you can't tell, take it apart. It's the most through way to clean it anyway. If it's got big hrs, it's definitely a good idea.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

The cylinder block thrust bearing deteriorated sending the balls free which severely damaged the cradle bearings, cylinder block jamming the pistons and ruining the swashplate as well. This occurred on the right side. I found a lot of metal in the hydro fluid tank and lines. The system had the original filter too! This machine has very high hours and unfortunately has not been maintained.

I'm going to go ahead and inspect the internals of the wheel motor for damage. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you guys updated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsz28 View Post
The cylinder block thrust bearing deteriorated sending the balls free which severely damaged the cradle bearings, cylinder block jamming the pistons and ruining the swashplate as well. This occurred on the right side. I found a lot of metal in the hydro fluid tank and lines. The system had the original filter too! This machine has very high hours and unfortunately has not been maintained.

I'm going to go ahead and inspect the internals of the wheel motor for damage. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you guys updated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Keep us posted on what you find out about the wheel motor. i've been trying to get a parts break down for one online and am having no luck. i got lucky and found the hydro pump breakdown along with internal part numbers. let me know if you need it i'll post it here for you
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I have access too all the service manuals/ parts diagrams. Thank you though I appreciate all the help

If you give me a specific model I'll most likely be able to get you a service diagram. Many exmarks use Parker wheel motors, specifically the TF series. I think you will find this link particularly helpful

http://www.parker.com/literature/Hyd...or%20TB-TH.pdf

I decided to flush the wheel motor with 1qt of mobil 1 15-50 each way before taking it apart. The motor seems to be in good condition based on how it felt and that no metal shaving came out At all

I'll let you guys know if I run into any problems after I install the new pump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsz28 View Post
I have access too all the service manuals/ parts diagrams. Thank you though I appreciate all the help

If you give me a specific model I'll most likely be able to get you a service diagram. Many exmarks use Parker wheel motors, specifically the TF series. I think you will find this link particularly helpful

http://www.parker.com/literature/Hyd...or%20TB-TH.pdf

I decided to flush the wheel motor with 1qt of mobil 1 15-50 each way before taking it apart. The motor seems to be in good condition based on how it felt and that no metal shaving came out At all

I'll let you guys know if I run into any problems after I install the new pump
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks i feel kinda lazy now that i see the link I've been looking for the wheel motor breakdown for a few days, and finally found it.(HYDRAULIC WHEEL MOTOR NO. 1-523328) some one suggested that the symptoms i have with mine may be just air along the one side. Also i have a toro but I've noticed that for the most part all the zero turns use the same hydro drive systems ( Had scag walk behinds that i played with and took apart)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just went through a hydro pump blowout on my 2009. Had shavings everywhere. I took the reservoir and lines out completely. flushed the lines, washed the tank out. I then manually flushed wheel motors out with mobile one by hand turning the wheels. New filter and oil. 1 year later everything is still fine.